lost passwords, cant get in

jah

Reaction score
bought the macbook ~071007

-noticed sometimes the macbook pro (10.4.11) the screen is black on powerup but you can see the cursor, moves with the pad input but never can get it out of this mode save power down and remove the batteries. an intermittent thing, no bad after the microsoft reset tho.
i assumed this was caused by a os bug, i am using several different wifi and bluetooth ports along with ipv6.

-just today after going the black screen of death it just lost my password:
i power up and it asks for the password, after 3 failures it asks for the master password "type master password to reset this units pw and unlock file vault"
so i type in my master password. new screen: 3 fields, New Password, Verify Password, Password Hint (opt) so i give it a new significantly different password, confirm the same new password and it dosnt accept it, returns to the same screen with 3 fields.

no love in safe boot mode either (shift key at powerup)
a PRAM and the NVRAM reset did nothing (Command-Option-P-R keys)
re defined the pw from the install disk the new pw bad the same way

the keyboard bad?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2009 MacBook Pro  Mid 2007 iMac  4G iPod Touch  iPhone 4S  iPad
I had the same problem with my wife's iMac. Put your install disk into the drive, hold the C key while rebooting. When the OS-X installer loads there is an option named something like "Password Utility" or something similar. It will walk you through regaining access. (Sorry I can't remember the exact names...)

OP
J

jah

Reaction score
OS-X installer loads something like "Password Utility" or something similar. It will walk you through regaining access.

thanks tho:
i did this at least in terms of re defining the password, the macbook failed just like with the original password.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.