Screens Just Gone!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac, 2.8GHz Core 2 Extreme, 500+500GB HD, 4GB RAM, OSX 10.5.1
Well to finish a great day on the apple side of things, my screen has just decided to display diagonal black marks, like shadow riffs across the center top half of my screen!

Urrgghhh!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM
slinki,

I had a similar thing happen to me just last night on my brand new 13 inch Macbook.... ugh! It got alternate black and colored vertical lines on the screen, then went totally black. I couldn't start it after that for sour apples. Since I had put new (4GB) memory in last week almost immediately after I bought it, I decided maybe it was a bad stick, so I removed it and put the original Mac 1GB back in - Voila! The Mac came back to life.

I also noticed that one of the new 2GB sticks had a crinkle in the paper sticker on it, so I smoothed it out and pressed it down, then re-installed the new 4GB sticks back in and made sure they were firmly slotted. Now it works just fine, so I deduce that one stick must have lost contact with the slot and stopped the Mac. Maybe yours is a loose memory stick?

Don't know if this helps, but I do wish you good luck on getting it fixed.

Noel

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Cheers Noel, I will give this a try.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just to give you peeps an update.

Rang apple today. After numerous tests etc etc, turns out its a fault with my machine.

To make a long story short I have to take it to my local apple store to get fixed.

I'm just glad my machine is still under warranty. Apple seem to be having a few problems with the iMac screen!

Give apple their dues, they could not have been more helpful on the phone. I just need to figure out when it would best suit me to drop it into the store....as I really cant go too long without it.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh and before I rang, I tried changing the memory modules around, even putting the original modules back in, but no joy. The apple dude got me to restart my Mac using the leopard CD, but still no joy.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.