Adding extra HD & RAM

Reaction score
I would like to add and second hard drive, as well as more RAM to my Power Mac G4. I currently have:

A Maxtor 5T040H4 40 GB HD, 29.44 GB available

A 128 MB SDRAM stick and a 256 MB SDRAM stick; with two more empty slots.

What size/brand HD should I get? And what kind of RAM? Where are good places to buy?

Also, would I be using the second HD as a slave drive?

I'm going to use this computer for video editing, music, etc., plus general web surfing. Also on a budget.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM
paoluccio,

For the HDD, I've always favored Western Digital. Depending on how much you need to save or archive, etc, you could start with a 120 or 160GB, even as much as 300/320GB. I'd make the new drive the slave since your OS is on the primary drive.

As for memory, it may be a matter of cost. I'd go to Newegg.com where I get almost everything and look at their mac memory availability. Since I'm a newbie, I'm not sure what kind of memory your computer takes, but you can get 4GB for about $100-200. Here's http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=551&name=Mac-Memory
the Mac memory page at Newegg. Good searching!

BTW, check Newegg for hard drives also.

Noel

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.