Internal Troubles at Microsoft (Vista)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
This is a fascinating insight to the internal view of Vista from within Microsoft itself.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/09/business/09digi.html?ref=technology

If you still think Leopard is 'not perfect', give this a read.

Here’s one story of a Vista upgrade early last year that did not go well. Jon... upgrades two XP machines to Vista. Then he discovers that his printer, regular scanner and film scanner lack Vista drivers. He has to stick with XP on one machine just so he can continue to use the peripherals.

Nothing unusual there is there? But then

... Jon, who is dismayed to learn that the drivers he needs don’t exist? That’s Jon A. Shirley, a Microsoft board member and former president and chief operating officer.

There are several other examples in the article.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
That's Interesting

What I don't get is that apple can make an advanced OS that still runs on my old machine, but Microsoft with all its money and programmers cannot make an OS that runs on new hardware

Reaction score
Vista was the biggest flop of the decade in my opinion. Most everything with Vista has problems. It's pretty bad when companies want to "downgrade" to XP to save time and money.

Reaction score
From the NYT story:
Now that Microsoft faces a certified class action, a judge may be the one who oversees the fix. In the meantime, where does Microsoft go to buy back its lost credibility?
What credibility? Though I suppose it could go back to its theft of Stacker in '93 and work forward from there.

Reaction score
Makes you wonder - with Microsoft executives having trouble with the system :Oops: how in the world did Vista EVER get placed on the market???

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
From the NYT story:What credibility? Though I suppose it could go back to its theft of Stacker in '93 and work forward from there.

Whoah - glad I'm not the only one that remembers that. Wasn't that the case where during the lawsuit, chunks of code were found to have been copied verbatim from Stacker's source?

And people say Apple is the new Microsoft....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM/320GB HD; BlackBook 2.4Ghz, 2GB RAM/250GB HD
What Apple understands, and what MS doesn't get, is that most consumers (home and business) of computers are now looking for ease-of-use and reliability. Vista is an answer to a question no one asked. No one requested changes to the tool bars or to the systems menu. One clear example: Why have they made it so difficult to access the shut-down button?

Then there's the bloatware phenomenon. With each generation of Windows and the MS's application software, they have built-in more and more features that the VAST majority of consumers will never use, never even know about, and never have any use for.

All of this wouldn't be so bad if the darned programs were becoming more automated and reliable. The exact opposite is occurring.

The current state of Microsoft reminds me of America's auto mfrs back in the mid-70s. Products that were over-sized, inefficient, unreliable, and getting worse with each new model year. I remember once visiting a Ford dealership to find a car on their lot with what appeared to be the rear door that wasn't properly shut. When I opened and slammed the door shut, I realized then that the door WAS shut. It had simply been assembled in its misaligned state, and delivered to the dealer that way.

Apple is now eating MS' lunch, and deservedly so. This is coming from a long-time shareholder of MS. Perhaps it's time to dump the stock. :Angry:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.