Search by file size?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBookPro 2.33 GHz, 2 GB Ram 160 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 750 GB External HDD
First off I would like to say thank you to everyone that has helped me with all my questions. I was a die hard pc guy for years and made the switch to mac a while back and will never look back and you guys have really helped make the switch easier. Thanks.

My question is as follows. Is there a way to search everything on my mac by file size. I have a 160 gig HDD and I have less than 80 gigs left and I need to do a little cleanup and I thought it would be best to start with the biggest files and work my way down. Is there also a way to see if there are duplicate files, I dont really know where all my free space went. I guess I am just looking for the easiest way to have all the contents on my drive displayed so I can start the big clean up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
open the finder and key in F

You will see this screen where you can set the options

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBookPro 2.33 GHz, 2 GB Ram 160 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 750 GB External HDD
How can I see how big a specific folder is? I have a comic book folder with a bunch of subfolders with individual titles in it and I want to se how large the whole thing is.

Reaction score
Google for an app called Disk Inventory X, that should do the trick.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
How can I see how big a specific folder is? I have a comic book folder with a bunch of subfolders with individual titles in it and I want to se how large the whole thing is.

To get the size of a single folder, highlight it and choose File > Get Info.

To see the sizes of all subfolders in a folder, choose View > as List and then choose View > Show View Options and check the "Calculate all sizes" box. It may take a while for the system to add up all the sub-folders (which is why this option is not enabled by default.)

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Google for an app called Disk Inventory X, that should do the trick.

Thanks so much, This is exactly what I was looking for. What a great little program.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.