Recommend me a database app

Reaction score
Hi folks, first time poster - be gentle!

My wife is studying Scottish History to become a tour guide. She is looking for a database app to store her notes, photos, web links, and google map refs. There would be entries for various 'Places', 'People', 'Events' etc.

I was planning to create something in Filemaker Pro, but she's looking for something more like a Wiki - with hyperlinks among descriptions. For example an entry on 'Edinburgh Castle' would have links to 'Robert the Bruce', 'Mary Queen of Scots' etc.

Can anyone recommend an app (just needs to be run locally on her MacBook, doesn't need to be published on the web)?

Reaction score
I can't answer for the hyperlink part, but I use the database contained in NeoOffice. At least until I upgrade to Leopard and then I will try out Bento (which I understand is a scaled-down version of Filemaker).

OP
Y
Reaction score
I've actually just given Bento a try. It's very nice looking, but doesn't have the hyperlink functionality we require.

I'm now thinking Wiki software (such as Instiki) might do the trick, but not sure if it'll be too technical for my wife to use. Installing now....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
You could probably also accomplish something like that using VoodooPad, which she might find easier to use than a web-based wiki.

www.flyingmeat.com

OP
Y
Reaction score
VoodooPad is actually a great idea. Has almost all the features we're looking for. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2009 MacBook Pro  Mid 2007 iMac  4G iPod Touch  iPhone 4S  iPad
Hi folks, first time poster - be gentle!

My wife is studying Scottish History to become a tour guide. She is looking for a database app to store her notes, photos, web links, and google map refs. There would be entries for various 'Places', 'People', 'Events' etc.

I was planning to create something in Filemaker Pro, but she's looking for something more like a Wiki - with hyperlinks among descriptions. For example an entry on 'Edinburgh Castle' would have links to 'Robert the Bruce', 'Mary Queen of Scots' etc.

Can anyone recommend an app (just needs to be run locally on her MacBook, doesn't need to be published on the web)?
You might want to consider Filemaker's latest offering, Bento.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
VoodooPad is actually a great idea. Has almost all the features we're looking for. Thanks.
Yeah, I love VoodooPad:
I started storing all my classnotes in there - it's not pretty, but it works really well.

Plus dragging in pictures or other files just works as well AND I can export it to a website should I really need to.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.