• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Capturing Video w/ FCE and Canon HV20 --- Please Help!

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I know this should be a simply process, but I am having a lot of trouble capturing video from my Canon HV20. This camera uses HD mini DV. The cord that came with the camera is a USB and I just found out that I have to use firewire to capture video. After learning this, I went and bought a firewire cable, but it does not fit my camcorder. Is anyone familiar with the HV20, or know what I should do? I am almost positive that Mac users have bought and used the HV20 with FCE. Please just provide any advice that might be useful.

Also, if I record in HD and then edit my video, is it possible to put it onto a DVD? I know that it wouldn't remain in HD, but can it be converted to SDV? Thanks!

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Is the firewire cable a 6pin to 4pin or a 6pin to 6pin? You will need the 6pin to 4pin.

FW-46-BLK.jpg

OP
K
Reaction score
Yes, I tried the 6 to 4 pin. I don't actually see a port on my camera that has the firewire logo, so maybe its not compatible? But before I even bought my camera, there were people on forums that were talking about how they were using FCE to edit their HV20 footage.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
don't actually see a port on my camera that has the firewire logo
RTFM. See the attached picture from page 13 and not the red circle.

You can edit wide screen and create a wide screen DVD using iDVD. Yes it will only be standard DVD, not HD, but it will look good. I've done this with the previous version of that Canon.

PreviewScreenSnapz002.png

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.