BootCamp Question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook 1GB RAM 80 GB Combo Drive
I haven't bought my new MacBook yet so I am wondering how exactly Boot Camp works. Does it link to your Windows PC? If so, how? I've done some quick research and haven't found anything to clear my questions up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP 2.4 Ghz C2D, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 1 TB Ext Media Drive
Boot Camp doesn't connect to a Windows computer at all. You need to have a full retail version of XP SP2 or Vista to make it work. It actually splits your internal disk into separate partitions, and installs Windows on the empty one. When you reboot your computer, you can hold down the 'Option' key to decide which OS to boot into.

OP
Amanda
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh! So basically, I cannot run my Windows XP (what I'm using now) unless I have the disk for it? My computer never came with a disk so that's unfortunate but I'm not sure that I would use Boot Camp anyways unless I wanted to play a game.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP 2.4 Ghz C2D, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 1 TB Ext Media Drive
Correct, you can't use your current XP install from the PC. Your Windows license is ONLY licensed to the machine it came installed on.

I must admit, I've installed Windows 3 times through Boot Camp, and deleted it every time for "non-use." FWIW.

OP
Amanda
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If I had an old QuickRestore or a System Recovery CD, I would imagine that wouldn't work?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Nope, you'll need either a retail or OEM copy to install Windows through Boot Camp.

OP
Amanda
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nope, you'll need either a retail or OEM copy to install Windows through Boot Camp.

I just found a CD called Compaq Operating System CD (Windows XP Home). That is an OEM, correct?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry, I should have been clearer. I mean OEM for System Builders, not OEM like Compaq. Here's an example:

Windows XP Home SP2 OEM

Reaction score
Correct, you can't use your current XP install from the PC. Your Windows license is ONLY licensed to the machine it came installed on.

I must admit, I've installed Windows 3 times through Boot Camp, and deleted it every time for "non-use." FWIW.

I'm honestly curious about this... I don't believe that the Windows license is bound to a specific computer. I mean, you never link it to a serial number of any kind. I believe that the Windows license is simply restricted to a single active copy on any system. For instance, I am moving my XP SP2 Home edition install from my old dead PC to my Mac. I think this is legal and and within the license agreement.

If anyone could respond to this that would be great. I'm absolutely not trying to argue about violating any kind of license agreement here. I really just have an honest question about this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm honestly curious about this... I don't believe that the Windows license is bound to a specific computer. I mean, you never link it to a serial number of any kind. I believe that the Windows license is simply restricted to a single active copy on any system. For instance, I am moving my XP SP2 Home edition install from my old dead PC to my Mac. I think this is legal and and within the license agreement.

If anyone could respond to this that would be great. I'm absolutely not trying to argue about violating any kind of license agreement here. I really just have an honest question about this.

I'm not saying that installing your Compaq/HP/Sony/Whatever's restore disc on another computer WOULDN'T work because of serial number issues. I'm saying that manufacturer OEM copies often have the company and computer model number built into the license agreement, meaning that you're violating the agreement if you run a Sony restore disc on an HP machine, or such things.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
snoslicer is correct. You can't transfer Windows licenses from computers like Dell, HP, etc. However, if you had bought a retail or OEM copy and installed it on one machine, you are most definitely able to transfer that to another machine, as long as you remove it from the first machine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.