Deleting Files before Re-selling

Reaction score
I do not want to do a full disk swipe of my Macbook before I sell it because it contains some programs for which I do not have the discs. If I just manually delete my personal files, will the buyer be able to re-trace my deleted files?

Thanks for the help.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
You may as well just wipe it and put a fresh install on the machine.

No one with an intelligent knowledge of computers will pay for programs that do not have disks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0/4GB/500
No one with an intelligent knowledge of computers will pay for programs that do not have disks.

I would disagree, depending on your definition of "intelligent knowledge." I bought a Macbook a year ago with tons of software that I find really valuable. And since I've never had to restore my OS because Macs are so reliable, I've essentially been using over $1,000 worth of free software.

Sure, I wouldn't have paid the value of the software without the discs, but it definitely made me choose to buy that person's machine over an "empty" one.

To the OP, I can't tell you from a tech standpoint, but I've sold 4 computers in the past leaving the software on and wiping my personal info, clearing all cookies and histories, etc., and I've never had a problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
I would disagree, depending on your definition of "intelligent knowledge." I bought a Macbook a year ago with tons of software that I find really valuable. And since I've never had to restore my OS because Macs are so reliable, I've essentially been using over $1,000 worth of free software.

Sure, I wouldn't have paid the value of the software without the discs, but it definitely made me choose to buy that person's machine over an "empty" one.

To the OP, I can't tell you from a tech standpoint, but I've sold 4 computers in the past leaving the software on and wiping my personal info, clearing all cookies and histories, etc., and I've never had a problem.

The fact that you have benefitted from software piracy does not make it correct or advisable.

Advertising and selling a computer with unlicensed software is just as illegal as selling burned CDs with that software on a street corner. Just wipe the machine and sell it as it with the original disks it came with.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
If you just delete the data, then yes, it can likely be recovered. This program for instance does just that. I haven't tried it but I do know programs do exist to recover lost data.

This knowledge comes from bad experiences on Windows and since I don't know the ins and outs of HFS+, I don't want to guarantee that either your data is recoverable or it isn't.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.