Newbie question...Best PDA for syncing with a MB Pro

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB Pro user
First question for all of you, and thanks for having me here.

I have a 2 month old MB Pro. I love it, but now I need a PDA to sync with it so I don't have to carry this machine everywhere.

I currently have NEXTEL thru work, and therefore a nextel PDA would be compatible with my lifestyle (not having separate devices for phone and PDA). But I am more inclined to buy a separate PDA if it is just smooth as silk for syncing purposes.

If anyone has knowledge on these devices, please help a newbie out. I'm from Peoria, IL, have no Apple store within 3 hours of my home, and I am technologically un-advanced!

Thanks Mac-People!

Joseph

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13" i7, 8GB RAM, 500GB HD
I think it just depends on what you want from it.... What you're going to be doing with it...

I've heard of a bunch of people using there touch for a PDA, it has most of the functions of a basic PDA plus Wifi.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Alm 2.4Ghz iMac 750Gb HD 4Gb Ram
Why not switch to ATT and use the iphone?

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB Pro user
Switch to iPhone

My company pays for a huge nextel plan, so, an iPhone is not happening right now. Do the iPod touch models sync with the Mac Books? I'm not opposed to using 2 devices.

Joseph

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 Ghz Macbook Pro, 4GB Ram, 250 GB HD
My company pays for a huge nextel plan, so, an iPhone is not happening right now. Do the iPod touch models sync with the Mac Books? I'm not opposed to using 2 devices.

Joseph

Yeah... i know the iPod Touch syncs your address book and calender. The touch may do other things as well, but I'm not sure because I have the iPhone, not the touch.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah... i know the iPod Touch syncs your address book and calender. The touch may do other things as well, but I'm not sure because I have the iPhone, not the touch.

From what I've heard they have all the function of the iphone, just without the ability to make calls.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I'm inclined to recommend the iPod Touch also (I have an iPhone myself), but beforehand, what exact needs of a PDA do you have? The iPhone/Touch are great and have a lot of promise, but the official development kit is just now under public beta testing, so 3rd-party apps are still lacking, aside from those that are hacks.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB Pro user
Touch is good.

My only needs are the calender. I want my MBP to sync with a PDA, and vice versa. Just for the calender, address book, and other knick-knacks.

I'm simple as far as that is concerned.

Thanks for the feedback. Keep posting if anyone else has ideas.

Thanks a lot!

Joseph

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

My only needs are the calender. I want my MBP to sync with a PDA, and vice versa. Just for the calender, address book, and other knick-knacks.

I'm simple as far as that is concerned.

Thanks for the feedback. Keep posting if anyone else has ideas.

Thanks a lot!

Joseph

If you can use the build in ical and the address book you're set. Plus you get a built in ipod which is great...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Alm 2.4Ghz iMac 750Gb HD 4Gb Ram
Slightly off topic, but here's what not to get: a Palm PDA

I have used Palm PDAs for years (since the early 1990s) - the early ones were robust, but lately the Palm OS just can't keep up with the demands of network utilization and third party software. My current is a Palm Treo 680 (unlocked, GSM) - I have paired down my 3rd party application to only a handfull made by generally responsive developers, and the thing still resets several times a day.

I won't buy another Palm device - they were good, but no longer pass the test of reliability. I will consider an iPhone when v2 is released, I have high hopes for Apple's return to the PDA world.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" (early 2008, pre-unibody), 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM.
What about windows mobile devices? Seems I've read elsewhere that there is 3rd party software to make these sync pretty darn well. I'm thinking about getting a PDA / smart phone for the same reasons, and I' not interested in the iPhone or Touch for several reasons.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What about windows mobile devices? Seems I've read elsewhere that there is 3rd party software to make these sync pretty darn well. I'm thinking about getting a PDA / smart phone for the same reasons, and I' not interested in the iPhone or Touch for several reasons.

The interface of Windows Mobile is renown for its user-unfriendliness. The iPhone hasn't grabbed so much market share just because Apple makes it. It's because Windows Mobile suuuuuccccks. It's so bad that even by MS' own update path, they don't expect to catch up to the iPhone for 2 more revisions yet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" (early 2008, pre-unibody), 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM.
Why ya got to be such a hater? There are obvious things that the iPhone does that are light years ahead of other smart phones, lots in fact, but there are clearly others that it just doesn't have YET, like 3G support. Or maybe its just hard to find (hasn't come to Taiwan yet), or maybe I just don't want to pay for another ipod.

The interface of Windows Mobile is renown for its user-unfriendliness. The iPhone hasn't grabbed so much market share just because Apple makes it. It's because Windows Mobile suuuuuccccks. It's so bad that even by MS' own update path, they don't expect to catch up to the iPhone for 2 more revisions yet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Why ya got to be such a hater? There are obvious things that the iPhone does that are light years ahead of other smart phones, lots in fact, but there are clearly others that it just doesn't have YET, like 3G support. Or maybe its just hard to find (hasn't come to Taiwan yet), or maybe I just don't want to pay for another ipod.

Not being a hater... just stating the truth. If you want to torture yourself... have at it. I'm merely providing a counterpoint to your suggestion, though I am well aware the iPhone/Touch can't meet everyone's needs. In the OP's case though, it looks like it will.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP, iPad 2 64, 2 x iPod Touch, MBA, 2 x iPhone 3g
I've got a Palm TX and was worried (the other way around - I already HAD the PDA).

I must say it's performed flawlessly with my MBP using either the Bluetooth OR USB connection. This Palm replaced a 7 year old Sony Clie, and quite frankly is superb - my only proviso is I wish I could dim the screen a bit more - that's it, the sum of my complaints!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP, 2.5ghz, 4 gig Ram, 250 hard drive, 512 nvidia
Windows mobile works just fine with ical & add book i have had no issues. Not as good as under windows but still acceptable. I have a ipod touch but prefer to keep business separate from pleasure.
Might change to the next version of iphone but for now i think I have the best solution.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB Pro user
I jumped ship!

Wow. Thanks for the advice. I took the plunge and bought an iTouch 16G. Seemed logical and the price was right. Thanks for the help in this matter Mac-ies!

Joseph

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.