Question about new 15" mbp purchase

Reaction score
I bought a new macbook pro (2.3ghz version with 512gb ssd, 16gb ram, and the 750m card). The main need for this beast of a machine is dealing with video editing. I was wondering if it would be worth it to return this and pay the extra for the 1tb ssd and/or pay the extra for the 2.6ghz i7? Please explain what difference either of these choices would make.

Also whats the best way to protect the notebook from theft and damage.

And one last thing is the apple care 3 year protection worth it? Or is there something better I can purchase that will protect against accidental damage (ie best buy warranty).

Thanks!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I bought a new macbook pro (2.3ghz version with 512gb ssd, 16gb ram, and the 750m card). The main need for this beast of a machine is dealing with video editing. I was wondering if it would be worth it to return this and pay the extra for the 1tb ssd and/or pay the extra for the 2.6ghz i7? Please explain what difference either of these choices would make.

Are you talking about the models that were just released yesterday??. If so...they were just released...have to wait for some reviews to be written.

Also whats the best way to protect the notebook from theft and damage.

- never take it away from your home
- never take it out of the box
- never use it

More realistically:

- Buy a hard shell case.
- Treat the computer like it was a dozen eggs.
- (Theft) Never let the computer leave your sight or hands when away from home.

And one last thing is the apple care 3 year protection worth it?

It is if something goes wrong. And it isn't if something doesn't go wrong. That's the way it is with warranty's.

Or is there something better I can purchase that will protect against accidental damage (ie best buy warranty).

The Best Buy warranty (Geek Squad Protection Plan) does cover accidents (Applecare does not). But you may pay more for it.

- Nick

OP
C
Reaction score
Yes I'm talking about the ones that were just released. For the ssd question, I guess its more aimed at video pros. I already have a bunch of different external hard drives to store data, and I know that for editing projects its generally faster to move the data to your the computers hard drive and then work. I guess I'm worried about potentially not having enough space. I think I'll probably bite the bullet and get the extra space, just a lot of cash ($450) with discount to get it.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes...SSD's are a lot of cash. You're trading storage capacity for speed (and a boat load of cash)!

- Nick

OP
C
Reaction score
The thing is already spending close to 3 grand for a laptop the extra money seems like less... But it'll be worth it in the long run, and really the closest comparable laptop spec wise is the Dell XPS 15 (which hasn't been released), and even though its a little cheaper you're not getting os x, and you're also getting dell build quality... so there's not really any other mobile options. But it will pay for itself while working on projects.

I guess if any hardware guys no how much slower a thunderbolt 2 connection to a combo sshd drive would be, and they could chime in that could help sway me away from potentially wasting money, that would help.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
But it will pay for itself while working on projects.

Exactly. If you can save time on projects. Time is money...and the extras will pay for themselves in the long run.:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.