Upgrade to SL - will my old iApps work?

Reaction score
Greetings and Merry Crimble to all and sundry...

My dearly beloved has kindly given me a wireless Mighty Mouse (she's fed up with the clutter on my desk, and eliminating one trailing wire seems to her to be a step in the right direction....

I discover on studying the notes that come with it, that OS 10.5 is required and I'm on 10.4.

It would clearly make sense to upgrade (if I'm to use the mouse) to SL.

The question is, will my current iMovie, iDVD and iPhoto (all Tiger) work with it or do I need to adopt the new versions of these programs?

Is the upgrade viable or should I return the mouse to the shop?

Thanks Mitcherooney

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Without knowing which Mac you have, year - model, we can't advise you about which apps will work or whether or not you can upgrade to Snow Leopard. Please post specs.

OP
Mitcherooney
Reaction score
Sorry for that omission...

The machine is an Intel iMac, circa 2006 and these details apply:

Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac4,1
Processor Name: Intel Core Duo
Processor Speed: 1.83 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache (per processor): 2 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 667 MHz
Boot ROM Version: IM41.0055.B08
SMC Version: 1.1f5

Thanks for your help so far. M

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
According to *MacTracker* then you are able to upgrade to SL no worries

20101226-dargeen7tnmq37hyq1cjwcit7y.jpg

And any .v 4 of iPhoto will work with SL so i presume iMovie and iDVD will as well.

If i was you though i would go down the road of iLife 11 as there are some awesome upgrades to iPhoto and the such.
And from Amazon you can pick this up for under $50

Cheers

OP
Mitcherooney
Reaction score
Thanks for that TM.

The only thing that concerns me now is how do I preserve all my data if I upgrade, or will that be safe? I have an external HD (320 Gig) available if need be.

I have some stuff on the ext HD which I want to keep - it's stored in a folder. I removed it from the internal HD to give me more elbow room when editing movies.

Does Time Machine take over the entire ext HD - do I need to partition it somehow?

I'm an old geezer and the brain works slowly and ultra cautiously these days.

Just an aside - I'm in the UK - otherwise known as rip-off Britain. iLife11 on Amazon UK is £40-00 (US $61-77). Bite the bullet time, I guess..

But if you could let me know how I go about preserving my data, etc I'd be very grateful.

Cheers M

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
You'd need to reformat the external HD drive to HFS+ (Mac os extended (journaled)) if it's not already, which you would use the Mac's disk utility to do.
Your best option would be to transfer the data from your external HD to your Mac, then you could partition the external HD using disk utility.
Make a small partition for the data that you had on it so you can move it back, and the other partition for your time machine backup.

OP
Mitcherooney
Reaction score
Thanks, 6string (do you beat up a guitar by any chance?)

That is reassuring news, and I think I could probably cope with all that. Even at my advanced age a few brain cells function....

Back to the beginning of the story... My wife's present to me with set me back approx £65.00 ($100.37 at current exchange rates), but as the advert says...I'm worth it.

Many thanks once again for your help. M

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Thanks, 6string (do you beat up a guitar by any chance?)

That is reassuring news, and I think I could probably cope with all that. Even at my advanced age a few brain cells function....

Back to the beginning of the story... My wife's present to me with set me back approx £65.00 ($100.37 at current exchange rates), but as the advert says...I'm worth it.

Many thanks once again for your help. M

Pleasure.... you should be fine, but if you get stuck or are unsure at any stage, post back before doing anything that may be irreversible.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.