trouble with emailing pictures

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 2.16 ghz intel core 2 duo
when i first got my imac my friend reconfigured the email so i could continue to use my hotmail account. now when i try to email friends digital pictures through iphoto/mail, i get a pop-up that says "cannot send message using the server http" i don't really know how to correctly reconfigure my email preferences to fix this. friends do receive the pictures HOWEVER they are huge and take up the entire screen. i know that iphoto and mail let you modify the picture size before mailing. thanks in advance for any help.

best,
will

ps i will gladly ditch hotmail if i need to remedy this problem

Reaction score
Sending a photo as an attachment (see 2nd image attached) in Mail.app allows you an option to scale the picture down for PC users. (see 1st attachment)

As far as configuring Mail.app to send/receive mail from your Hotmail account, here's a link about it:

Mail.app httpmail plugin

Picture 2.png

Picture 3.png

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
getting closer

pulse 8 thanks for the plugin. i downloaded it and i'm not sure i've got everything configured just right. does the plugin allow you to use hotmail through mac's mail? i'm not sure if i'm supposed to click on the mail icon and then have access to my hotmail account? i feel pretty stupid. this is the only thing (so far) that i can't figure out on the mac.

it's still giving the "cannot send message using the server http" when i try to email a picture through mail

Reaction score
pulse 8 thanks for the plugin. i downloaded it and i'm not sure i've got everything configured just right. does the plugin allow you to use hotmail through mac's mail?
Hi alaskapanic,

Yep, when configured, HTTPMail works like this; when you fire up Mail.app you should see your Hotmail account Mailbox in the left pane, sitting right under your other accounts (if you have any).

When you click on "Get Mail", the Hotmail account will take a little bit longer than a regular imap or pop3 account does to search and download any new mail, but it should work perfectly fine for you.

Here's the official blurb on what we're dealing with:

HTTPMail is a specific plugin for older Hotmail and MSN accounts. Newer accounts need to be upgraded to Hotmail Plus in order for the plugin to work. I can’t test this. It’s freeware and comes in Jaguar, Panther, Tiger and Universal Binary flavours.

i'm not sure if i'm supposed to click on the mail icon and then have access to my hotmail account? i feel pretty stupid. this is the only thing (so far) that i can't figure out on the mac.

I'll walk you throught the process just to make sure you have everything set up just right. Don't feel stupid, while that's normal ... getting ones head around technology had nothing to do with inherent intelligence. You are not stupid!! Knowledge comes with experience and isn't a yardstick for intelligence. Feel free to search around the Mac-Forums for answers to anything that befuddles you at this point in time and if you want just post away with any querie you have.

it's still giving the "cannot send message using the server http" when i try to email a picture through mail
Ok, let's backtrack a little. Here's the step-by-step instructions to get that plugin working as it should:

This is the link to the correct version. That is, if you're running Tiger on your iMac. At the bottom of the page you'll find download links for previous versions of Mac OS.

Do this please, launch Mail.app and go to the menubar and click on:

Mail -> Preferences.

Tell me if the Preference window that opens has the HTTPMail section that is only displayed when you click on the double-arrow icon to the far right of the menubar, like my image below:

If it does, then click on it and you should see the same as what is displayed in the next image:

If you don't see any of the above, go to the link above where you can download the plugin.

This is the page with the relevant section highlighted:

Once you click on the Download Now text to the far right, the window will change to this:

And the following window should also open outside of your web browser (I'm showing what I see in Safari BTW):

picture2le2.png

Once the download is completed you will find this on your desktop:

Double-click on this and a second file will appear:

Double-click on this and a disc volume icon appears:

When you double-click this icon, you'll be presented with this window:

I strongly advise you to read the pdf file named "Read Me". It outlines the exact installation procedure and is easy to follow.

Once you've properly installed the plug-in, go back to the desktop and drag the Disc Volume icon to the Trash to unmount it. (This needs to be done as this volume is currently "Mounted") Then just drag the .dmg and the .dmg.gz files to the Trash too.

If you have any further issues just feel free to ask away!

Cheers,

Martin

marsa37.gif

PS: Don't forget to select "Send Windows Friendly Attachments" when you choose your photos to send via emai.

PSS: This Mail.app plugin will ONLY work with the older Hotmail accounts. Any new account will need to be upgraded to Hotmail Plus (or whatever it's called) before they'll work with this plugin and Mail.app.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook - White - 2.0GHz C2D - 2GB RAM - 120GB HD
Wow Pulse-8, just wow. That might be the greatest, most detailed, post ever in the history of this site!

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
closer

when i get to the accounts window on the account information page. it will let me enter everything just like it says on the "read me section" with the exception of the "outgoing mail server" it says to leave it "none" however when i try that it always goes back to "httpmail: wilspread" i've tried removing all the servers to make it "none" but it won't allow me to saying " server you are removing is in use. removing may prevent mail from delivering messages."

the servers listed in the outgoing mail server drop down are: smptp.mac.com, httpmail:(null), and 5 or 6 httpmail: wilspread in a row

will

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
not sure why the frowny face is there it should be a parentheses

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yes it is an older account i've had for years

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i'm going to hit the hay, i appreciate the help. tomorrow is another day

will

Reaction score
i'm going to hit the hay, i appreciate the help. tomorrow is another day

will

Let's see if we can't sort out this recalcitrant plugin once and for all so you can get on with your emailing.

OK, picking up from the last diagram, double-click on Installer.app:

Your are currently following Step 2 of the installation procedure as per the "Read Me" PDF file to the right of the Installer.app.:

You will be presented with the next three windows, just click Install/OK/Done to start/finish the installation:

Next we need to open a Finder Window and navigate to:

MacintoshHD -> Applications -> Utilities -> Terminal

and click on Terminal.app ( my image is a bit dodge, lol ) to launch it:

Now return to "Read Me PDF" again and look to step 4. You will need to highlight the relevant text and Copy/Paste it directly into the open Terminal window. It's very important to just select the text and not any empty spaces on either side of the text, if you catch my drift. (I highlighted both lines at once, so that's why there's an extra space highlighted at the end of the first line)

When you highlight the text press Command + C, then when you click the Terminal Window to activate it, click Command + V, to paste the command into Terminal. Then press the Return key:

[/URL]​

Then just follow steps 5 & 6 in the "Read Me.pdf" file and bear in mind you may see the following error in Mail.app, ( another dodge image ... ) so follow the instructions as per the PDF help document:

On to the next section ^^^^^

-

Reaction score
So, continuing on from my previous post:

If all goes well, this is what you should see when you launch Mail.app, open the Preferences window and go to add a new account:

Select HTTPMail from the pull-down menu and click Continue. This is the info you need for the Incoming Mail Server:

And finally, this is the overview of the account:

Just click on Continue and that should be it. There should be a Mailbox sitting in the left pane of the main Mail.app window now. Test it out by first highlighting your new httpmail account and clicking on the Get Mail button, or if there's no mail to be had, send yourself a message via a regular Mail.app account.

-

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mail

when i click on the mail icon in the dock nothing comes up on the screen at all. you just see my desktop and icons. it show mail as running as evidenced by the black arrow under it in the dock. what have i done now?

frustrated in alaska,
will

Reaction score
when i click on the mail icon in the dock nothing comes up on the screen at all. you just see my desktop and icons. it show mail as running as evidenced by the black arrow under it in the dock. what have i done now?

frustrated in alaska,
will

Frustrated in Alaska is an improvement from Panic in Alaska so we're definately getting somewhere! ;p

Right/Control-Click on Mails icon in your Dock and select Quit.

If it still won't quit, press Option and Control/Right-click on the Mail icon in your Dock and select 'Force Quit' ... this option only appears if you press the Option key.

If you still can't quit Mail that way, navigate to:

MacintoshHD -> Applications -> Utilities -> Activity Monitor

Look to the upper right and there is a pull-down menu titled 'Show'. Select 'My Processes' from it and in the box below look for Mail and when you find it, click it to highlight it, then click the 'Quit Process' button in the upper left.

I would restart my mac if I was you, it's not really 100% necessary but in your case I'd advise it. When you are logged in again try to then launch Mail.app from the Dock and see if it does it's bouncing dance. That tells you it's going to launch. How many bounces depends on a few things. If I click on the Mail icon in my Dock just after logging in, it bounces about 7 times but if I wait just about another 5 secs it only bounces twice before opening.

If after trying to relaunch Mail.app, nothing is happening, drag the Mail icon from your Dock onto the Desktop and it'll go up in a puff of virtual smoke ... then go to your Applications folder and try launching Mail from there:

MacintoshHD -> Applications -> Mail.app

If Mail launches successfully, then we're good to go. If it doesn't, then we'll go from there.:D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.