G5 went to sleep, never woke up

Reaction score
I know, sounds like a good way to go, but not for a computer, I guess. Last night, my G5 would not wake up, lights were on, fan making sound, but no computer activity. I had to physically unplug computer to make it stop so I could restart. Now it won't reboot at all, screen stays black.

haven't changed anything on the computer. It had a conflict from corrupted files in a font library that was causing it to freeze a while back. I got it serviced, they backed up my files, and told me my hard drive was making a high pitched noise, like a heart monitor. could it be the hd finally took a dump?

i know you're going to ask for the usual profile of the machine information, it is in some old threads. i have to run out right now, can't look it up right now. wanted to get this thread started. thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Sadly this could be the logic board, on which G5's are prone to failures.
It could also be the HD, but if it were you'd be able to switch it on still, you'd normally just get a flashing folder.
Try running disk utility form an install disc.

OP
B
Reaction score
i guess the next question is, how do i run disc utility from the start up disc if i do not have my drive drawer open?

i have this apple laptop i'm using to post this, i think there is a way to use this computer as a start up disc, but i am unfamiliar with the procedure.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP - 15in, 2.66ghz, 8gb RAM, 2x GPU, 320gb HDD
i guess the next question is, how do i run disc utility from the start up disc if i do not have my drive drawer open?

i have this apple laptop i'm using to post this, i think there is a way to use this computer as a start up disc, but i am unfamiliar with the procedure.

you could connect the hard drive from your G5 to your laptop, remove any files needed and reformat it. This might be an extreme, but in my opinion works the best when encountering problems (regardless of the operating system).

Good luck!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

You can force open the disc drawer by holding the mouse on start up, it should still open, even though you can't boot to the OS.
You could also try Target Disc mode from the laptop to run Disk Uitility that way.

OP
B
Reaction score
you could connect the hard drive from your G5 to your laptop, remove any files needed and reformat it. This might be an extreme, but in my opinion works the best when encountering problems (regardless of the operating system).

Good luck!

is there any way to do that via usb or firewire cable? are you talking about physically removing hd from the G5 and connecting (how?) to the laptop?

OP
B
Reaction score
You can force open the disc drawer by holding the mouse on start up, it should still open, even though you can't boot to the OS.
You could also try Target Disc mode from the laptop to run Disk Uitility that way.

1)hold down the mouse while powering up the G5?

2) put system disc in laptop, then go to disc utility?

I wish i knew more about this stuff, so I guess this is my learning experience. thanks so much for everybody who is replying.

OP
B
Reaction score

ok, just tried the holding down the mouse trick, and that did not work

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ok, just tried the holding down the mouse trick, and that did not work

Ok. So Target Disc Mode it is then.

Connect the iMac to your laptop via Firewire, and then start the iMac up while holding down the "T" key.
This boots it into Target disc mode and you can then run Disk Utility from the laptop to see if the HD on the iMac shows up and can be repaired.

OP
B
Reaction score
Ok. So Target Disc Mode it is then.

Connect the iMac to your laptop via Firewire, and then start the iMac up while holding down the "T" key.
This boots it into Target disc mode and you can then run Disk Utility from the laptop to see if the HD on the iMac shows up and can be repaired.

hold down the T key on the laptop or the G5?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The G5, sorry, put that and then edited it out - doh!

OP
B
Reaction score
just got the tray open, wasn't pushing hard enough with the straightened out paper clip. Put the first install disc in and power up?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, holding down "C". Then quit installer and go to Utilities to run the checks on the HD.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
Man, I paid 2500 for my dual 2GHz G5 tower... for computers that cost upward of 2 grand without an external monitor, those things are failing like mad now.

OP
B
Reaction score
per the troubleshooting section of the G5 users' guide

1)tried resetting PRAM - nothing

2) tried powering up holding the Option key - nothing

3) tried powering up holding the C key - nothing

4) tried powering up holding the Shift key - nothing

the only firewire cable I have is some weird thing with the slightly rectangular end you expect, and I guess is for hooking up compatible equipment, but not two computers. Am I right?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Seems so. Firewire is the same both ends, like a rectangle with 2 corners cut off.
I fear that you may not have much luck with it, but it has to be worth a shot. A cheap firewire cable will do, and it will be worth the £3 investment.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.