Alias

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.4Ghz C2D, 4GB DDR3,250GB HD
Hey all. Now this may be the most dumbest question in the world but I want your answers.

I want to create an alias to my websites folder. I drag my websites folder to the dock and done. Now the default of osx is "Display as stack" and "view content as automatic". That's cool with me but that's not what I want. I want to do things faster. I want it so that when i click my websites folder (on dock), it opens up the sites folder as a finder window directly. (rather than clicking the "open in finder" all the time)

I want
X3R4j.jpg

(Previously i created an alias of websites folder and placed it on the dock, that worked,until i deleted the alias of the websites folder at the original location, now the one on the dock doesn't work. that's logical but I don't want the sites alias to be in my Home, I just want a direct link to the websites folder) :\

It sounds easy and it is easy i just can't understand why OsX is tries so hard at basic functions.

thanks O:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
I bet there's a way to do that with Automator or using Terminal. I was just reading about using Terminal to create an iCal keyboard shortcut that bypasses the usual find the app, open it, tell it you want to create an Event... You just hit the keys, and you're there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
What is your objection to the alias method? Are you worried about your home directory getting too messy? You could just make an Alias folder, and put anything you want aliased in there. If it is just this one folder - then what difference does it make that you have an alias in your home directory?

Or try dragging the folder to the favorites section of the sidebar - quick access from any finder window.

Or drag the aliases to your desktop so you have access from either the dock or the desktop.

Or try a program like Quicksilver or Alfred
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/switcher-hangout/239284-quicksilver-more-than-launcher.html

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Note: Moved thread to appropriate forum. The Lounge is a forum to "get away" from technical issues.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.4Ghz C2D, 4GB DDR3,250GB HD
I bet there's a way to do that with Automator or using Terminal. I was just reading about using Terminal to create an iCal keyboard shortcut that bypasses the usual find the app, open it, tell it you want to create an Event... You just hit the keys, and you're there.
Hmmm thanks I will google some moar !!

What is your objection to the alias method? Are you worried about your home directory getting too messy?
Yes, avoid a messy workspace.

You could just make an Alias folder, and put anything you want aliased in there. If it is just this one folder - then what difference does it make that you have an alias in your home directory?
Because I'm planning to organize folders so I don't want millions of alias lying around. I wanna be neat :Smirk:

Or try dragging the folder to the favorites section of the sidebar - quick access from any finder window.
Never thought of that one, will try thanks :)

Or drag the aliases to your desktop so you have access from either the dock or the desktop.
Hmm I want no alias lying around like said, just a direct link

Thanks will do

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.