Dock Icons Stuck

Reaction score
Hi, I have a mac and my friend played a trick on me and made my dock locked. It can't remove icons, put things in it unless an application has a option to have an icon in the dock.

I have tried to find some modifying applications in my mac but there isn't any. I tried to download modifying apps which allows to lock and unlock the dock and locked and unlocked the dock, but it didn't work.

Can any Mac Professionals here help a poor kid out? Thanks in advance.:Smirk:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
How did your friend LOCK the dock.

You can try going into terminal and type "killall Dock" without the " and then press enter.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 11,2 <--DAW!!!
LOL that's funny right there! :D

OP
AndrewLouie
Reaction score
How did your friend LOCK the dock.

You can try going into terminal and type "killall Dock" without the " and then press enter.

I didn't work :(

I don't think any thing happened.

After I press enter. another sentence appeared which is the same with the sentence before i hit "killall dock".

HELP me! :'(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Andrew, tell your "friend" the joke was very funny, you've been had. Now, you want it back to normal. If this "friend" refuses, remove the "r" from that designation, for good.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.33 4GB: MacPro 8 Core 2.8, 16GB: MacMini 2.26 4GB: MacMin 2.53 4GB: iPhone3GS 32GB
Try this:

Open the Finder and go to

<YOUR-HOME-DIRECTORY>/Library/Preferences

were <YOUR-HOME-DIRECTORY> is where you keep all of your user specific files; it will be your user name.

You need to find the file named

com.apple.dock.plist

delete this file.

Then you can either open the Terminal (as others have suggested) and type

killall dock

or you can select the Apple Menu at the top left hand corner of your screen and select 'Force Quit'. Select the 'Finder' app and click relaunch.

By removing the com.apple.dock.plist file you are resetting your dock to the factory defaults. This should remedy the trick your friend played on you. However, if a third party app was installed, you may need to find out exactly what was installed and remove it. For now, try the approach above.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.33 4GB: MacPro 8 Core 2.8, 16GB: MacMini 2.26 4GB: MacMin 2.53 4GB: iPhone3GS 32GB
Also, I would ask your 'friend' (the word is questionable at this point) to determine exactly how he/she was able to access your machine and make these modifications. Ideally you do not want anyone else but you accessing any of the files/folders on your machine under any sort of circumstance.

OP
AndrewLouie
Reaction score
Try this:

Open the Finder and go to

<YOUR-HOME-DIRECTORY>/Library/Preferences

were <YOUR-HOME-DIRECTORY> is where you keep all of your user specific files; it will be your user name.

You need to find the file named

com.apple.dock.plist

delete this file.

Then you can either open the Terminal (as others have suggested) and type

killall dock

or you can select the Apple Menu at the top left hand corner of your screen and select 'Force Quit'. Select the 'Finder' app and click relaunch.

By removing the com.apple.dock.plist file you are resetting your dock to the factory defaults. This should remedy the trick your friend played on you. However, if a third party app was installed, you may need to find out exactly what was installed and remove it. For now, try the approach above.

It didn't work :'(

It just said "No matching processes belonging to you were found"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook. 2.16Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo. 5G 30GB iPod.
Open up Terminal. Copy & paste defaults write com.apple.dock contents-immutable -bool false then press enter.
Then type killall Dock then enter.
That should do the trick.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook. 2.16Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo. 5G 30GB iPod.
It didn't work :'(

It just said "No matching processes belonging to you were found"

You have to type an uppercase D when entering killall Dock.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBA. 15" MBP. iPhone 4. 3G Pad 2.
Do you have Tinker Tool installed?
If so, that is one app that I know can lock your Dock and can also put everything back to default if changed with the software..

TinkerTool: Details

Reaction score
Um, just a thought, how are you trying to remove stuff off the Dock?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
I can't believe this post is still going!!!
Have you been in touch with this so called friend of yours and had words yet?

OP
AndrewLouie
Reaction score
Do you have Tinker Tool installed?
If so, that is one app that I know can lock your Dock and can also put everything back to default if changed with the software..

TinkerTool: Details

It didn't work. :(

When I opened it, the default setting was unlock, so I locked it and press relaunch, and unlock it and relaunch, but didn't work. :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
This might be a silly question, but no where have you mentioned click and drag them off the dock. Have you tried this ? They should disappear in a puff of smoke once you click on it and drag it to the desktop .....

OP
AndrewLouie
Reaction score
This might be a silly question, but no where have you mentioned click and drag them off the dock. Have you tried this ? They should disappear in a puff of smoke once you click on it and drag it to the desktop .....

It doesn't

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
sooooooo... have you spoken to this "friend" yet, and asked what he/she did?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.