Apple TV 3rd Gen

Reaction score
Hi, I'm interested in buying an Apple TV however I don't know wether I should wait until September just in case Apple release a new Apple TV. Any opinions on the product would also be welcome.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP - Mid 2012 - i7 / iPad Air / iPhone 5s / ATV3
I have the current Apple TV and I'm quite happy with it.

I primarily use it for streaming Netflix but I ocassionally stream something from my itunes library as well. Well worth the $99 if you don't already have a device that streams internet content.

-MikeM

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4Ghz core i7 27 inch iMac 16Gb / OS X 10.7.4 / Apple TV 2
Hi, I have a question related to a previous post I made about Airport Express. Would the Apple TV work as an alternative to AE for streaming music. I have a DAC which has a toslink input, and would like to use ATV to stream music to it from iTunes on my iMac. I guess that I would also be able to stream movies to my TV via HDMI, therefore killing 2 birds with one stone, rather than having just music via AE option? Could anyone confirm whether this is correct? Many thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Yes. Once the ATV is connected to your TV, you enable Home Sharing (on both your Mac and the ATV) and then log into your iTunes account (on both the Mac and the ATV) anything in your iTunes library that is compatible with the ATV (see Apples ATV tech specs page for details) will stream to your TV via the ATV. This includes Audio (MP3, MP4 etc) as well as Video (M4Vs etc).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4Ghz core i7 27 inch iMac 16Gb / OS X 10.7.4 / Apple TV 2
Yes. Once the ATV is connected to your TV, you enable Home Sharing (on both your Mac and the ATV) and then log into your iTunes account (on both the Mac and the ATV) anything in your iTunes library that is compatible with the ATV (see Apples ATV tech specs page for details) will stream to your TV via the ATV. This includes Audio (MP3, MP4 etc) as well as Video (M4Vs etc).

Thanks baggss, so I can connect ATV to TV via HDMI and to Hi-Fi via DAC with toslink and stream either music or movies? I don't have a home theatre system, so want to play iTunes music via Hi-Fi, and movies via TV. Hope that makes sense :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Ya know, I've never tried that but I don't know why it wouldn't work. You'd be able to play your ATV movie audio to your stereo that way too.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.