Mac Mini

Reaction score
I am a PC user who longs to switch to Mac. I have the opportunity to purchase a Mac Mini with these specs:
1.5 GHZ
512 GB of Memory
60 GB hard drive
OS 10.5.8

I was hoping that someone who is knowledgeable about Mac could let me know whether or not this is a good computer.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
It's 5-6 yrs old - it could be a PPC processor or an Intel - probably the first Intel Core Solo.

It'd probably be ok for a first Mac, just to get a feel of OS X to see if you like it, if you can get it for $200 - $250 would really be stretching it's value imho.. I wouldn't give any more than that for it - don't care how much they're selling for.

OP
W
Reaction score
Bummer

I was really excited I found Mac Mini, 17 in. monitor, wireless Keyboard, and wireless mouse for $300. But I really don't want to buy an outdated computer.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I
It'd probably be ok for a first Mac, just to get a feel of OS X to see if you like it, if you can get it for $200 - $250 would really be stretching it's value imho.. I wouldn't give any more than that for it - don't care how much they're selling for.

Believe it or not...I got a 1.5ghz Mac-Mini a couple months ago for $50 (but this was an incredible deal).

@wirewiz: I probably wouldn't go any higher than $125-$150 for the Mac-Mini...then add on top of that any extra $$$ for the monitor, wireless mouse, and wireless keyboard. Depending on the brands of the extras...I could see going $200-$225 for everything.

FYI...the 1.5ghz Mac-mini is the fastest non-Intel Mac-mini.

Good luck,

- Nick

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
While you're looking for a used Mac - check out everymac.com for release / discontinued dates and the specs for the machine.

I'd try to use Mac2Sell.net for rough valuation - to me they're pretty much on the mark for what I'd be willing to pay. And you have to realize, a lot of Mac people think their old Macs are worth a lot more than they really are.

Where I am here in Dallas, people would be asking $400 for that 5 yr old computer and $600 with a monitor - it's crazy. I've checked Craigslist with prety high regularity for almost 2 years here and have yet to find a used machine at a price I'd pay for it.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Where I am here in Dallas, people would be asking $400 for that 5 yr old computer and $600 with a monitor - it's crazy. I've checked Craigslist with prety high regularity for almost 2 years here and have yet to find a used machine at a price I'd pay for it.

Craig's List in my area has sort of gone "crazy" as well. Many used models that sold for a lot less last Summer all of a sudden in the past 2-3 months have increased in price greatly.

My guess/theory is (just like e-Bay when it was young 10 years ago)...is that too many "professional" sellers are getting involved on Craig's List...and that's driving the prices higher. Individual sellers see what the "Pro's" are asking for their computers...and so the individuals ask for the same high price.

The problem with Craig's List is...you don't know what the final negotiated price is for an item (or if the item ever sells). So some sellers will be flexible with their price...and others will be firm (because they think their price is fair) when in reality it's not...they're just following the crowd (other ads on CL).

At least on e-Bay when the auction ends...you know what it sold for (assuming the buyer/high bidder follows thru with payment).;)

- Nick

OP
W
Reaction score
I appreciate you

Thanks so much for your input guys. My wife has a family member who is selling two of these Minis ( identical setups ) and I was so eager to have a Mac I almost immediately told them I'd get them. I decided to get online and found this forum, so again thanks for the knowledge.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.