dead pc; saved outlook express files (.dbx); new macbookpro; no clue

Reaction score
G'day folks I would dearly appreciate some specific help.
Two solid days in and I still cannot read these .dbx files.

The situation

1. I am trying to read my old OUTLOOK EXPRESS (not Outlook) emails.
2. I have them saved on my macbookpro desktop as OE folders.
3. I do not have access to any pc
4. I have followed every google link remotely concerned and have failed to find (a) a method that doesn't require access to a pc or
(b) a method dealing with Outlook Express (instead of outlook) or
(c) a method using an intermediary app like Eudora that
(i) that works or
(ii) is easily understood by a not completely stupid layman or
(iii) describes the method in specific detail (so I am not just guessing what is actually meant)

I am not concerned in getting my emails/addresses etc etc to work in mail, I just need to be able to read them in some text form or another.

....thanks for your consideration in this, I know it is not easy.
The threads on this forum regarding OE seem to be the least answered recurring request for help (that I could see).

OP
K
Reaction score
About the best I could find in Google besides pulling up your post :)

converting .dbx files from OE to Mac - Mac Support
S.

thanks for troubling to answer torchy.

My difficulty with the intermediary apps approach

ie
import OE's proprietary format (.dbx) into Thunderbird as first step, then
import those mailboxes from Thunderbird into Apple Mail.

...is that Thunderbird "import" doesn't have a browse function, and doesn't recognise the OE folder on my desktop as a possible source.

The same applies to Eudora.

I see no way to get my OE inbox mail folder to be read by Thunderbird.

Again I ask for help from someone who has been through this process, as I am at a dead end, having tried each and every Googled suggestion that seemed remotely applicable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Never had to do this but a suggestion - what if u save you OE files to an Ext HD then in Address Book File/Import from address file then go to Mail and in File menu select 'Import Mailboxes' to get messages. Hope that helps.

OP
K
Reaction score
Never had to do this but a suggestion - what if u save you OE files to an Ext HD then in Address Book File/Import from address file then go to Mail and in File menu select 'Import Mailboxes' to get messages. Hope that helps.

Thanks for troubling to answer Collin but the difficulty is that

While I do have the OE files on Ext HD, Apple mail will not recognise the .dbx format.

I have now seemingly successfully managed to get the files into both eudora and Thunderbird, and have attempted to import to Apple mail from both those sources and Apple mail refuses to recognise any file as portable or readable.

I am bleeding from the eyes

I am happy to start this process completely from scratch with any 3rd party app or intermediary path, but I need someone to guide me through the steps as each decision tree I come to that requires "knowledge" I only have "informed guess" to apply.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, and Macbook Pro
This is a low tech solution that may serve as a work around for you. Load the .dbx files into a friend's PC Outlook Express, then just Forward them to yourself. Pick up the forwarded mail on your Mac.

Another idea. Convert the .dbx files to mbox format (http://email.about.com/od/outlookexpressaddons/gr/dbxconv.htm) Then you directly import the mbox files into Apple Mail.

OP
K
Reaction score
This is a low tech solution that may serve as a work around for you. Load the .dbx files into a friend's PC Outlook Express, then just Forward them to yourself. Pick up the forwarded mail on your Mac.

Another idea. Convert the .dbx files to mbox format (DbxConv - Free Outlook Express to mbox Converter Review - About Email) Then you directly import the mbox files into Apple Mail.

Thanks for the suggestion VegasGeorge low tech is good for me.

I am going to try something v.similar, I only require some of the emails and really don't want to deluge myself with the total number.

I had no access to a PC (remote rural) but a mate's unexpectedly turned up with his laptop.
I will notify all of any result.

Again thanks to all who taken the time, it is much appreciated.

OP
K
Reaction score
SUCCESS!!!

My mate never uses his laptop for internet.
He had Outlook Express unused on the system.

Having eventually found the ridiculously hidden OE mail .dbx files folder on my mates XPplatform laptop, I just dragged and dropped my .dbx inbox and sent files, and was able to read my mail.

I then set up my printer and printed the hard copies I needed of the particular mail I needed.

Success.

I am going to take all other emails and put them into MSWord on his laptop, then upload that Word Folder to a usb memory stick, and thus enable their reading in Neo Office that I run on my macbookpro whenever I may need them.

Again grateful thanks to all.

see you round the forum.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Please take note that the thread you responded to is going on 8 years old. We have to assume the OP has already resolved his problem. However, if you joined our forums today and posted just to advertise the software you linked to, we consider that as advertising or spam. We usually ban advertisers and spammers.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.