Dust scratching MBP?

Reaction score
Hi,

I've had my 13" MBP aluminium for around 5 months now and I am extremely anal about it. I wipe it down each and every time I use it because the screen accumulates a lot of dust - probably because my room is dusty to be honest but anyway...

I need to stop being so OCD about it. My question is, if I close the lid without wiping away the dust from the screen, is this likely to cause scratches to either the aluminium body or the screen itself, or am I being paranoid?!

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2015 13"MBA 2.2GHz i7, 8GB RAM, OS X 10.11.6
You're being paranoid. The screens (and mousepads) are actually glass, so unless it's diamond dust floating around your room, you don't have much to worry about.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I have a late '06 model MBP with the matte screen - it is definitely plastic not glass.
It is dusty as all get out here. I have no scratches on mine related to doing what you describe on my now 4+ yr old machine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Funny thread, but still understandable....
New MBP User, I'm pretty OCD about my Macs, but at some point, you have to let go and enjoy using them.
Look after your MBP, clean it every week or 2 or 3 or 4, and relax.

The way I see it, you will look after it because you want to, and getting too obsessive about it will take away from you totally relaxing and getting the most out of it.
So, a hard shell case, cleaning the screen and keyboard every now and then, and being sensible about how you use it, and who you let near it is about all you should consider.
If you do get a hard shell case, take it off monthly or every other month and clean out the grit that makes it's way in :D

OP
N
Reaction score
Haha. Thanks for all the responses. Glad to know that I can stop being so OCD about my MBP! Cheers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Just use a microfiber cloth to clean it after all if it will not damage the new coatings on TV
screens it can't damage a computer screen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2015 13"MBA 2.2GHz i7, 8GB RAM, OS X 10.11.6
I have a late '06 model MBP with the matte screen - it is definitely plastic not glass.
It is dusty as all get out here. I have no scratches on mine related to doing what you describe on my now 4+ yr old machine.

Not sure about what the screens were made of back in '06, but they are now glass, for sure. From Apple's website:

"Look at the MacBook Pro display and you’ll see another big difference. Glass. That edge-to-edge, uninterrupted glass display does more than look good. It also adds structure to the LED display beneath it."

So, dust and dirt won't hurt it. Just don't drop it.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hi,

I've had my 13" MBP aluminium for around 5 months now and I am extremely anal about it. I wipe it down each and every time I use it because the screen accumulates a lot of dust - probably because my room is dusty to be honest but anyway...

Believe it or not (depending on what sort of material you're using to wipe your display)...if you're seeing "micro" scratches on your display...you may actually be doing a lot more damage then good by wiping it so often.

As "osxx" suggested...use something like a microfiber cloth.

HTH,

- Nick

Reaction score
Hey guys I'm new. I just bought a new Macbook Pro two weeks ago and it came with a screen cleaning cloth. I don't know if that only comes on Macs this year, but I plan on using that.

OP
N
Reaction score
Great responses. Thanks.
Nick - good point, would kill me if I actually scratched the screen by trying to prevent scratches!
Nadomac - That's what I've been using, can't seem to find any cloth which works better than that.

Cheers

Reaction score
The CoolShield screen sleeve is a fantastic product; the only problem is they're always out of stock. I have one for my PowerBook and when I first open it up, I can see the imprint of the keys into the screen sleeve. That tells me the keys definitely make contact with the screen. It might not be such a big deal with a glass screen, but I'd never want to close a matte screen laptop without some kind of protection for the screen.

http://coolshield.com/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I have the same saying for cleaning cars as I do with a laptops screen. The more you clean it yourself, the more you will scratch it.

Anyways, how is there SO much dust accumulating on the screen that you have so wipe it every time you use it?

If I do have to clean it, I just use my breath and the black cloth that came with my mbp.

And yes, the old mbp's didn't have glass screens, the 13"mbp does, as well as 15/17(with exception to matte screens).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.