Uneven backlight and hum on iMac 24"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2GB, Mac Pro 2.66Ghz 3GB X1900.
So how many people have an uneven backlight on their iMac 24-inch?

I also have the hum when you dim the backlight using the display control panel.

I have used Shades to dim the screen instead which is ok, but when you use Expose it goes back to full brightness while the windows are shrunk.

I'm thinking about returning the iMac, selling the Macbook and just going for a Mac pro and be done with it.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
A Mac Pro has no display. You would still have to purchase a display. I have a 20" imac and the backlight is very uniform. I am hoping some others here will see this and reply who own a 24". I have heard nothing but praise for the 24"'s display.

OP
gilesjuk
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I know the Mac pro has no display, but I have a perfectly good 22 inch widescreen monitor I can keep instead of selling.

It comes to something when a £200 Belinea monitor has a better picture than the screen in a iMac.

The 20 inch has no problems with backlight, this is unique to the 24 inch. I wanted a 20 inch but they had no refurbished ones. I should have just bought a new one but the 24 inch refurb was Only £179 more.

Maybe given time I would get used to it, it's just I don't think anyone should tolerate such design faults.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Two 20" iMacs here with perfect displays.

Take yours back.

OP
gilesjuk
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Like I said before, this is the 24-inch model. The 20-inch models don't have this problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.16Ghz, 1G RAM, 250G HDD (internal), 250G HDD (External FW)
I have a 24" iMac and I have no issues with the screen whatsoever.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i-mac dual-core 2.16Ghz 24inch, Macbook 2.4Ghz alu, 27" iMac Core 2 Duo 3.06Ghz
It seems that you have a duf 24" mac. I also have a 24" mac and no problems with backlight.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Like I said before, this is the 24-inch model. The 20-inch models don't have this problem.

Every 24" owner here is happy and every 24" in the shops seem fine to me.

I don't know what else we can tell you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Alum 20'' 2.4GHz | iMac G4 | iPod Silver Nano 2GB
The 'hum' is normal.

OP
gilesjuk
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hum seems to be the norm, my 22 inch monitor did it. Adjusting the contrast and brightness solved that.

Anyway, I over reacted in terms of the backlight. The next day I looked at it again and it doesn't seem so bad, it's within Apple specifications. I'm selling it anyway as the display is just too big for me, plus I really need the expansion capabilities of a Mac Pro.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Hum seems to be the norm, my 22 inch monitor did it. Adjusting the contrast and brightness solved that.

Anyway, I over reacted in terms of the backlight. The next day I looked at it again and it doesn't seem so bad, it's within Apple specifications. I'm selling it anyway as the display is just too big for me, plus I really need the expansion capabilities of a Mac Pro.

If you need Expansion and want an OSX machine, the Mac Pro is the way to go. I hope you will enjoy it. I think you are doing the right thing for what you want in a computer.

OP
gilesjuk
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you need Expansion and want an OSX machine, the Mac Pro is the way to go. I hope you will enjoy it. I think you are doing the right thing for what you want in a computer.

Indeed, i'm just a bit miffed at the fact that they used FB-DIMMS when they appear to be going the way of rambus. Intel dropping support for them already. Obscure memory is never a good thing. Plus the latency concerns me a tad.

Incidentally, I'm returning the iMac to apple for a refund. I was unsure if the refund was possible after removing the packaging (it refers to seals in the conditions, but these are case seals not the seals on the protective wrapping).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.