OEM fan control code

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me where the mac oem fan control code is and how to change it. I run 10.5.8

Story is...
I took apart my mbp to clean out the fans and replace the thermal grease. (I know run about 50 degrees C less, YAY!) but now for some reason my fans run consistently at 6k rpm. My temp is about 40c, so no need for 6k rpm on the fans. I have smcfancontroll but it will not change the fan speed. I think something went wrong and i would like to replace the oem fan control code with a copy of new code that i know works.
Can anyone help me. Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Try this Link. And download "Cooler Apple.PDF" and follow the directions given. Don't know if that will help you or not, but worth a try.

Regards.

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks that link was good, but i couldn't locate those plist files the author mentioned.....
"Rokem achieved the temperature reduction by modifying the plist files in AppleBlower.ktext and AppleFan.ktext. Essentially, he edited the speed values for both fans so they kick on a little sooner and run a bit faster."

Any tips on how to locate these files, I have a hunch they are now different since this article was written in 2006.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yeah, I think you're right, file names have probably changed or a different method is being used. I just used two different search engines on my machine and could not locate either file. If I run across anything else that might be helpful, I'll post it to you in the same thread.

Also, there is a chance that the run away fan speeds may be due to a hardware defect perhaps caused by applying the thermal heat paste. Have you gone back over your work to check that everything is the way it's supposed to be?

Regards.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey, it's me again. I found the files! They're buried so deep that both my search engines couldn't find them. They're the same names.

Here's where they are:

1. /System/Library/Extensions/AppleBlower.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleBlower

2. /System/Library/Extensions/AppleFan.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleFan

Good luck and let me know if it works.

Regards.

OP
J
Reaction score
Thank you all so much. Thank you chscag! I fixed it. I forgot to re-connect the left temperature sensor. I opened her up again and retraced my steps and saw that the left sensor was not connected. All working now.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you all so much. Thank you chscag! I fixed it. I forgot to re-connect the left temperature sensor. I opened her up again and retraced my steps and saw that the left sensor was not connected. All working now.

:) I'm an electronic tech of many years experience and I wish I had a buck for all the times I forgot to hook something up when repairing a piece of electronic equipment. Happens to the best of us.

Anyway, glad you got it all sorted out. Have fun.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.