Newsstand and Ibooks for OSX?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book Pro '15' i7 Quad Core, iPhone 5, iPod (U2), time capsule (2tb), apple tv.
I was reading a magazine I (downloaded for free) from Newsstand yesterday on my Iphone 4. To be honest the experience was not all that good the screen is just a little on the small side to enjoy the overall reading experience. I have also got a few books on Ibooks for my Iphone and again I cant really admit to enjoy reading them on such a small screen.

Now I dont have an Ipad but I do have a new mac-book pro 15 inch. With the advent of i-cloud and sharing data over all of your apple products I was wondering why I cant view my books or magazines on my Macbook and why are these only available on iOS and not on OSX.

Will the mountain lion upgrade address this?, I have heard they want to integrate a lot more of the iOS functionality into OSX, or is it just me and I dont realise that there is already an application to view my books and magazines on my Macbook?.

I would have thought ibooks and Newsstand is a no brainer for Apple to integrate over both Iphone, Ipad and Macbooks.

C

chas_m

I think it's a safe bet that Newsstand and iBooks will eventually come to OS X. The fact that Apple haven't said much about this pretty obvious omission makes me think they are saving it for Mountain Lion (or at least that time frame).

Reaction score
Newsstand for Mac

I think it's a safe bet that Newsstand and iBooks will eventually come to OS X. The fact that Apple haven't said much about this pretty obvious omission makes me think they are saving it for Mountain Lion (or at least that time frame).

ML is here and still waiting...

C

chas_m

Yeah, curious.

I have to admit I have exactly ZERO interest in reading books and mags on my laptop (my only Mac), but I read stuff ALL THE TIME on the iPad ... it's a truly pleasurable experience with the Retina display iPad.

There is a sorta-kinda workaround: download the Zinio reader or Kindle app for Mac and buy books from them (both also have iOS versions). If enough people do that I'm sure it will get Apple's attention. :)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
There is a sorta-kinda workaround: download the Zinio reader or Kindle app for Mac and buy books from them (both also have iOS versions). If enough people do that I'm sure it will get Apple's attention. :)

Agreed - and this is what I do as well. The Kindle apps (OS X, iPhone, iPad) synchronize books seamlessly, including your page number and bookmark(s). I'd say the only problem is that Kindle eBooks don't tend to be as multimedia-rich as a iBooks are.

Aside from that, I quite enjoy being able to read books across multiple devices (including my iPhone). I pretty much always have a book with me wherever I go. Don't underestimate the zoom/increase text size function in iBooks on your phone. I also recommend switching over to the sephia or white on black modes, which I find reduce eye strain and make it easier to read (in general) on the iPhone. Sure, you're turning pages more frequently, but it makes the smaller screen size more than tolerable.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.