Keep Multiple Windows Open

Reaction score
Does anyone know how to keep multiple windows open on an iMac?

I'm going from two monitors on a Mac Pro to an iMac. I want to keep multiple windows open on the desktop at the same time since I have the 27" monitor.

Thanks for help in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
Am I missing something here? Why not try just not closing them???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro|15" Hi-Res Anti-Glare|2.2 GHz quad i7|4GB RAM
I'm with Sawday here, I don't know if I understand what you are asking. Could you try to elaborate and clarify what you mean?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Yeah, multiple windows of what? The same application, or several. Actually, I'm trying hard to think of things that will not allow multiple windows. All I'm coming up with: Calculator, iCal, Dictionary...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13, 2.4, 8GB, 120GB SSD OCZ
I think the OP is asking for multiple viewable, active windows on screen at the same time. May be similar to Top Sites of Safari. The only thing I can think of currently is Expose. Maybe when Lion comes out we will see more.

M

MacInWin

But even on two monitors, you have to shift the focus to the window you want to use, so having multiple windows open on the single screen works exactly the same way. Like the others, I'm asking the OP to provide a more clear explanation of what is wanted. Right now I can open two windows on the desktop and either have them stacked but mostly visible, or sitting side-by-side. I don't understand the problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think the OP is asking for multiple viewable, active windows on screen at the same time.

That doesn't even make sense to me. You can't do two things at once (using keyboard or mouse) so why would you even want two windows to be "active" at the same time?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That doesn't even make sense to me. You can't do two things at once (using keyboard or mouse) so why would you even want two windows to be "active" at the same time?

It makes sense to me. He has two monitors. Wants to keep open all the windows he has open and viewable. So if he keeps each monitor as individual Space or one continuous Space (I've done this with an external monitor and my MBP), he can click Expose button to see all his open windows. Also, 2 windows side by side for drag and drop. Or have several different videos running at the same time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
It makes sense to me. He has two monitors. Wants to keep open all the windows he has open and viewable. So if he keeps each monitor as individual Space or one continuous Space (I've done this with an external monitor and my MBP), he can click Expose button to see all his open windows. Also, 2 windows side by side for drag and drop. Or have several different videos running at the same time.

Only ONE window is actually active, no matter how many are viewable. How else could you control mouse or cursor???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Only ONE window is actually active, no matter how many are viewable. How else could you control mouse or cursor???

Ok, in that sense only one window can be active, but if you're running different videos for each window and you have several windows, wouldn't those window be 'active'. Or when you are downloading and installing several different files, each with it's own window, those windows are 'active'. You can view their progression under Expose.

C

chas_m

Maybe we should wait until Ken clarifies what exactly he means. Till then, everyone is just speculating.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

I think there's an echo in this thread. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA 11inch, Ipod touch 8gigs 4th+Iphone 3GS, Ipod nano 1.1
it look likes ken figured out on his own.....requesting mods to close the thread....as not reaching anywhere witout a q's

Reaction score
Hi, I wanted to bring back up this thread.

I'm actually looking for the same thing, but this time for a good reason. :)

I wan't to trigger 2 applications with the same keyboard shortcut at the same time, however this is not possible unless switching between applications. So if there would exist some kind of hack or terminal change to make this possible somehow it would help me out enormously!

Thanks for the suggestions yet to come...

M

MacInWin

Define "same time." If by that you mean absolutely simultaneously, I doubt it can be done. On the other hand, if "same time" means you can live with a short time in between the starts, but want only one keypress, you could probably do that with Automator and then map the action to one key. I"m not an expert in Automator, so I can't say how to do that, but I'm sure others here can.

C

chas_m

Yes, an applescript or an Automator action would make it easy to launch two (or more) apps at the same time using a single keyboard action.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.