how to delete a user from osx 10.6.8

Reaction score
i bought a second hand macbppk pro, i did not want to have to reinstall as the guy had removed 95% of his stuff, so i just started using the pro and then realized he still had an account, so i deleted it in[ users]
only to find it is still there and when i want to download anything it wants to take it to his folder.

I have tried all the ways possible i think,
i have gone into users and deleted from there, but its still there,
i have looked on these forums and elsewhere on the net and still the answer is eluding me,
i have gone into terminal and put in, sudo dscl.delete/users/<kevin>- and it comes up with the message below.. so help neded by you experts who seem to find all this stuff so easy please. {kevin is the account i want to delete, if its not obvious, and i am jodi...many thanks

bash: syntax error near unexpected token `newline'
Jodi-Keatings-Mac-book-pro:~ Kevin$

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Why go through all of this? Simply go to System Preferences > Users & Groups and delete the old user there.

OP
J
Reaction score
i Have

as i stated i have already done that...

system pref > system>accounts> and deleted the user

at that point he doesnt show up.
but if i go to finder>devices >machintosh hd {at top} Kevin appears along with guest and shared but i DONT appear..........

HELP

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Back up what you want to keep to an external drive then use the OS disk to reformat and reinstall the OS, then restore using Migration Asst from your external drive.

OP
J
Reaction score
Back up what you want to keep to an external drive then use the OS disk to reformat and reinstall the OS, then restore using Migration Asst from your external drive.

Thank you i will try that, it was something i was trying to avoid but seems my only option. cant seem to connect my time capsule wirelessly so will try and get an ethernet cable and then try.
but thanks to all for help.
any more advice before i get the ethernet cable tomorrow, would be gratefully received.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Thank you i will try that, it was something i was trying to avoid but seems my only option. cant seem to connect my time capsule wirelessly so will try and get an ethernet cable and then try.
but thanks to all for help.
any more advice before i get the ethernet cable tomorrow, would be gratefully received.

If you have a USB cable available just hook up that way to do the back up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Whenever you purchase a used machine., always get the system discs, format and erase the drive and do a clean install. It is the only option. If you are concerned about what may have been on the computer, use the 7 pass erase.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.