G5 Question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
None, Sold
Alright, I have the chance to get my hands on the following system.

PowerMac G5
PPC Quad 2.5ghz
9gb of ram
1.6 TB of space in a Raid 0 array
Nvidia 6600 GPU
Running 10.5.8 (I already Know this is the latest OS that I can load on it)
Also comes with 160 external fire-wire hard drive
and the new style flat aluminum apple keyboard

The person selling it says it is still like new with very minimal / non-existent case damage. And it still works with no problem at all. The current asking price is $400.00 and he says he is firm on it.

What are you opinions? I've already sold the older G4 I have, and I am looking for a replacement mac, for web programing (php/mysql) along with ruby (not ror) work as well. I know the PPC processor is going to be the kill switch for some of the newer programs. But Mac Pros, and new mac mini's are out of my price range.

So your opinions on the specs/price above? The seller originally wanted 800 but re listed for 450 and told me that if I buy it he will knock $50.00 off just for the drive time (1hr and half way)

Also, I will be looking at the system in person tomorrow. So if any of you have any suggestions on what I should look for I would like to hear it. Cause if it checks out and I get a good positive response I will pick it up tomorrow.

TIA Jon

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Well...$400 for a "quad" 2.5ghz G5 is probably not too bad (the seller's original price of $800 was insane).

Here are my thoughts:

- if you're spending $400 on a Powermac G5 (which is getting more & more obsolete by the day since it cannot run the lastest OS)...you might be able to get a lower end Intel Mac of some sort. Such as an older Intel Mac-Mini or an older MacBook. Getting an Intel based Apple computer is probably the best choice. If you were talking a dual-processor Powermac G5 for $200...I might say go for it...due to the low price. But with $400...better off with an Intel Mac.

- One BIG problem with the "quad" Powermac G5's...is the liquid cooling system. They can be a problem (leaks)...and you don't want that headache.

Basically...for $400 you're getting an ok deal...but nothing to go screaming to all your friends about (the 9 gig of ram is nice & 1.5 terabyte of storage is nice):)...but that still doesn't overcome the older G5 hardware.

Hope this helps,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Simply much too dear.

PPC is finished alas and with the upcoming release of Lion OS X.7 Apple may well drop support for Leopard. Usually after two later OS releases, support finishes. The machine is a Dual Core, late 2005 model. Maybe $200.00-$250.00.

And make sure it comes with the original startup discs. Is the flat Apple keyboard USB connected or wireless as G5's will not boot from discs using a wireless keyboard?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.