Connecting new macbook pro to old tvs

Reaction score
Hey,

For a project installing some visuals into a club we're looking to run some old TVs as displays for visuals controlled on a new macbook pro. Is it possible to convert the signal into analogue? Failing that just to s-video?

We want to also spit the signal amongst roughly 4 - 6 TVs. Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
Jim

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
For a project installing some visuals into a club we're looking to run some old TVs as displays for visuals controlled on a new macbook pro.

Probably should more clearly define what you mean by "old-TV's". Are you talking about old CRT-based TV's...and if so...what sort of ports do they have?

Some old CRT TV's have as little as just left & right RCA audio jacks...and a coaxial cable jack. Some better quality old CRT TV's have all sorts of ports.

- Nick

OP
J
Reaction score
Probably should more clearly define what you mean by "old-TV's". Are you talking about old CRT-based TV's...and if so...what sort of ports do they have?

Some old CRT TV's have as little as just left & right RCA audio jacks...and a coaxial cable jack. Other old CRT TV's have all sorts of ports.

- Nick

Hey Nick,

The older the TVs we can use the better, so yeah, CRTs. The type we want to use will only be likely to have a single coaxial port. If that's not possible then we'd have to get some with s-video or scart connections perhaps?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey Nick,

The older the TVs we can use the better, so yeah, CRTs. The type we want to use will only be likely to have a single coaxial port. If that's not possible then we'd have to get some with s-video or scart connections perhaps?

Here's the deal. There's really not too much problem connecting modern computers (MacBook Pro in this case) to older CRT TV's...you just need the correct ports.

Remember that before we had all these fancy & large LCD monitors for computers...all computer monitors (for desktop computers) were CRT-based. What you might be better off using rather than "plain old CRT-TV's"...are old CRT-based computer monitors.

At least with old computer monitors you will get at least a "vga" port...so you will have some sort of computer to computer interface. And of course...old computer monitors are worth next to nothing...so if you keep your eyes open you can get them for little or no money ($5.00 each or free)!:)

- Nick

OP
J
Reaction score
Here's the deal. There's really not too much problem connecting modern computers (MacBook Pro in this case) to older CRT TV's...you just need the correct ports.

Remember that before we had all these fancy & large LCD monitors for computers...all computer monitors (for desktop computers) were CRT-based. What you might be better off using rather than "plain old CRT-TV's"...are old CRT-based computer monitors.

At least with old computer monitors you will get at least a "vga" port...so you will have some sort of computer to computer interface. And of course...old computer monitors are worth next to nothing...so if you keep your eyes open you can get them for little or no money ($5.00 each or free)!:)

- Nick

Ahh great idea! Do you happen to know how many times a VGA cable can be passively split and be useable?

I've also found this Sewell PC to TV Converter (VGA to RCA) - SW-22050, $29.95 which is an option.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ahh great idea! Do you happen to know how many times a VGA cable can be passively split and be useable?

Basically (if I understand things correctly) what you're looking for is..."How many external displays can I run from my MacBook Pro?"

Here are some possible solutions:

1. Supports up to 4 external monitors via USB (need DVI to VGA adapter as well):

NewerTech NWTVIDU2DVIA USB to HD Display Adapter... in stock at OWC

2. Supports up to 3 monitors (Triple Head To Go)...but expensive:

Multi Monitor Adapter for Maximum Performance | TripleHead2Go

3. There's supposed to be a software solution as well...I forget the name of it...I will try searching for it.

Here's an interesting article as well:

My MacBook Pro Goes Multimonitor: 4 Monitors At Once!

HTH,

- Nick

Edit: Here's the software solution I was thinking of (I'm not fully sure of it's limitations). You will most likely (at least) need video adapters and cables for the CRT monitors:

http://www.screenrecycler.com/ScreenRecycler.html

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.