• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Firm Behind MacDefender Malware Likely Busted in Russian Raid

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Companies in the business of writing and supporting malware such as MacDefender can rake in a lot of money in a short period of time. It’s an incredibly profitable business, feeding off the fear of individuals whom become victims to the scare tactics malware and phishing scams employ.

I'm curious how much they actually made off of that particular scareware. If they ran the same scheme on a different OS, would they have raked in a lot more? It just makes you wonder if Mac users, as a whole, are as cautious and clever as we hope we are.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13, 2.4, 8GB, 120GB SSD OCZ
Scams like this have been running on Windows systems for years. I remember encountered something very similar 7+ years ago on my PC while on the net. Clicked on a page and suddenly something pops up like a virus scanner, a bunch of red 'viruses' showed up on the 'scanner'. Makes you panic for about a second. But I can see how it may seems legit to someone not familiar.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Scams like this have been running on Windows systems for years. I remember encountered something very similar 7+ years ago on my PC while on the net. Clicked on a page and suddenly something pops up like a virus scanner, a bunch of red 'viruses' showed up on the 'scanner'. Makes you panic for about a second. But I can see how it may seems legit to someone not familiar.

Exactly. Windows users are familiar with such "threats", so they may be more cautious. Mac users might be more complacent and therefore more likely to fall for such trickery. But Mac users are also more reliant on themselves to detect scams, so that's why I wonder if they/we were more or less successful than others OS users when it comes to detecting and avoiding scare ware.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.