MBP 13 new faster HD, slower boot time?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" MBP 2.53GHz, 500GB 7200rpm HD, 4GB Ram
Hi There,

I've just upgraded my 13" Macbook Pro from the stock HD (250gb 5400rpm) to a 500GB seagate momentus 7200rpm. With the old hard drive I would be looking at boot times of around 20 seconds and less - now I'm experiencing boot ups of over a minute.

Strange thing is 40 seconds is just the blank grey screen as soon as I hit the power button, this doesn't seem right? Once I see the apple logo, it's fine - just takes ages to get there!

Any ideas or suggestions?

Cheers,

Sunny

OP
gillms1
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just in case anyone else experiences a similar problem, I've now resolved this.

After you've installed a new hard drive, check that in System Preferences --> Startup Disk that your new hd is highlighted - if not, select and click 'Restart'.

This has done the trick for me, now my boot time has gone from well over 1minute to under 30 seconds :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
I had a Seagate 7200rpm 320GB that acted similarly to what you describe. After a week or two is was booting as fast as, or quicker than my stock 250GB 5400rpm drive. Not sure what fixed it. I assume there were indexing, kext or other background processes running overtime for a while. Regardless it went away after a bit. I though the HDD was flaky and almost sent it back.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13" 2.26 GHz 320GB 4GB Ram, iMac 2006, 250GB 2GB RAM & 3G iPhone
Just in case anyone else experiences a similar problem, I've now resolved this.

After you've installed a new hard drive, check that in System Preferences --> Startup Disk that your new hd is highlighted - if not, select and click 'Restart'.

This has done the trick for me, now my boot time has gone from well over 1minute to under 30 seconds :)

Thanks for replying with the answer when you discovered it, I upgraded my HD, not to a faster one, just a bigger one, and ever since then the bootup has been hanging for 30-40 seconds on a blank screen like you said, then it would all kick off and go to the Apple logo, I did what you said and it's lightening quick again! Thanks! Stands to reason really, with no default boot up disc on start up selected, it's having a look around to see what to boot from.

Thanks again.

OP
gillms1
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
XJ-linux - Glad to hear your Seagate is now problem free :)

jobborrow - Strange thing is when I've changed the HD before in other macs, I didn't have to do this. But like you said, it makes sense and is always worth checking if you notice the same problem.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Thanks gillms1 for posting that that fix. I saw your post last night and didn't think to suggest that. Don't think I have had to do that with the few times I have upgraded/changed the system dusk.

My initial thought was that more time was being spent checking the SMART status of the larger drive. But even sho it shouldn't take that much longer.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.