The Final Word on Final Cut Pro on MB not MBP

Reaction score
Okay guys,
So I sold my MBP and now that I have the money in my pocket, I am actually liking it. I don't want to screw myself, but in an effort to keep as much of that money as possible I am wondering if I can get a regular macbook instead of a macbook pro for video editing.
I realize this is a question that has been hit a few times, but I am looking for the final say on the matter. I realize this is a graphics card question and deals with rendering. I am wanting to know if I buy a macbook have I lost the ability to edit with FCP... additionally what about color, motion, etc that come in the final cut studio package? I called apple and they said that the graphics card would not work, but I am sure there must be someone on the fourm that has tried fcp on a regular macbook??? How did it work out?
Like I said, I would love to save some money and get the regular macbook, but I can't lose the ability to edit video. I am in grad school for film and use FCP daily. Additionally I do other projects on the side (mostly music videos).
thanks for any advice
jared

OP
J
Reaction score
quick search and I found a link discussing this issue on apple forums. it appears the studio programs will all work with the exception of motion. i have not used motion yet (that is next semester), but i have used color and would want it to work on my macbook...
money is so annoying... i know the best decision is just to get another mbp, but man i would love to have some extra cash...
http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=3770920&

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
If you're eventually going to need motion, then isn't the answer obvious?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Color requires a decent graphics card. See the specs where it says: "An AGP or PCI Express Quartz Extreme graphics card (Final Cut Studio is not compatible with integrated Intel graphics processors)"

So, Color will not run on Macbooks or Mac minis.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB DDR2 SDRAM, 250 GB HDD, Mac OS X 10.5.3 Leopard
I have had no problems running FCS on my MB, I usually have Color, FCP, and Motion all up at once. Motion seems to run just fine.

OP
J
Reaction score
I have had no problems running FCS on my MB, I usually have Color, FCP, and Motion all up at once. Motion seems to run just fine.

interesting... well i know that color can't be used at it fullest with a macbook for sure because even on our school computers (g4) it can't do the groupings part of the color practice book, but for the most part, i would only be using color in limited use for now...
to be honest though, i think i have to get a mbp to be safe... i hate spending that much, but i think it is a must.
i need to sell some stuff...

Reaction score
Okay guys,
So I sold my MBP and now that I have the money in my pocket, I am actually liking it. I don't want to screw myself, but in an effort to keep as much of that money as possible I am wondering if I can get a regular macbook instead of a macbook pro for video editing.
I realize this is a question that has been hit a few times, but I am looking for the final say on the matter. I realize this is a graphics card question and deals with rendering. I am wanting to know if I buy a macbook have I lost the ability to edit with FCP... additionally what about color, motion, etc that come in the final cut studio package? I called apple and they said that the graphics card would not work, but I am sure there must be someone on the fourm that has tried fcp on a regular macbook??? How did it work out?
Like I said, I would love to save some money and get the regular macbook, but I can't lose the ability to edit video. I am in grad school for film and use FCP daily. Additionally I do other projects on the side (mostly music videos).
thanks for any advice
jared
YOU DON'T SAVE THAT MUCH MONEY GOING CHEAPER. AND CHEAPER RE FCS2 IS GOING TO BE EXPENSIVE IN THE LONG RUN. VERY EXPENSIVE IF YOU DON'T GET A GOOD GRAFIX CARD. GOOD LUCK!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Shopping for one now.
So if MBP is the way to go...what other specs (RAM, HD, GHz,etc..) are a must have for FCP?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.