External monitor for MacbookAir

Reaction score
Hi

I would like to buy an external monitor for my MacbookAir. And I already have a HDMI cable for my Macbook Air which works fine to watch movies on my television.

However I'm a bit confused. Sorry stupid question maybe…but If I buy a 23' monitor for my 15' Macbook, does the screen get bigger or is it just "blown" up? I mean it just sends the display information to the external monitor right, so it probably doesn't get bigger right?

Thx
Michael

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
If you have a 13" MacBook Air...its display resolution is probably 1280x800. If you got an external 23" computer monitor its display resolution will probably be something like 1920 x 1080.

So as you can see...1920 x 1080 is much larger than 1280x800 (more screen real estate).

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
Hmm but let's say my dock uses up the whole space at the bottom of the screen on my macbook air. Do I have more space on the external monitor for more icons in the dock?

Reaction score
Not sure but

Hey, im still really new to macs but i know that in the past when ive used a second monitor with my computer a few different things happen.
1 - you clone your display on both screens and you have to choose which resolution to use. this means that your display will be distorted on one of the displays.
2 - you only show your display on one screen. This means that your computer will just readjust to the size you use, or you might have to adjust it on your own.
3 - you can extend your display so that both screens are used. This means that you only see your desktop on your computer and the second monitor would be like extra desktop space that you move stuff onto.

Hope this helps.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Hi

I would like to buy an external monitor for my MacbookAir. And I already have a HDMI cable for my Macbook Air which works fine to watch movies on my television.

However I'm a bit confused. Sorry stupid question maybe…but If I buy a 23' monitor for my 15' Macbook, does the screen get bigger or is it just "blown" up? I mean it just sends the display information to the external monitor right, so it probably doesn't get bigger right?

Thx
Michael

What does it do on the TV?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hmm but let's say my dock uses up the whole space at the bottom of the screen on my macbook air. Do I have more space on the external monitor for more icons in the dock?

Dock size is adjustable...regardless of the display used.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.