Apple DVI to VGA adapter

Reaction score
I want to ask to anyone who knows, if it will work if I connect a minidisplay port to DVI connector to a DVI cable and the with a DVI to VGA connector back.

I know its rather strange to do so, but I just couldn't find the minidisplay to VGA in the AppleStore.

I must add that I have a normal DVI to VGA adapter worth $5,- but that did not work, weird... but so.

I'm trying to connect it to a Ilyama 24" display, I know in the other thread I said I ordered a 26", but I cancelled the order since it was just a little too expensive. Just to get misunderstandings out of the way;D

Thanks fella's:)

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I am not sure on this one - have not seen enough reports yet - but here's what I think.

The DVI-VGA adapter didn't work, because it is expecting to be able to get an analog signal by being connected to the port on the computer - which in most cases, the DVI port has the capacity for passing both analog and digital signals. The adapter itself does not have the ability to convert the digital signal to analog (from DVI to VGA).

The mini-display port to DVI adapter is going to be passing a digital only signal to the DVI. Hence, why your DVI to VGA did not work.

I believe, if you want to use VGA, you're going to have to get the Apple mini-display to VGA adapter to have that digital to analog conversion.
Have not checked, but monoprice might have one of these also.

OP
Sur3Mac
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, but I have the Apple mini display to DVI, and I'm going to get the Apple DVI to VGA tomorrow or the day after....
I believe the issue you're referring to will be handled in the DVI to VGA adapter, won't it?

I have already ordered it and I don't think I can reverse that anymore since I already payed for it.:(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
the DVI > VGA has two pins that the minidisplay > DVI don't, my wife did this.. didn't work.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
No, i don't think that will work. I do not believe there is any conversion happening in the DVI to VGA adapter. The adapter is expecting to be plugged directly into the port on the computer where both the digital and analog signal are available.

(I'm on my phone and takes me forever to type anything on here.)

Video Cable - Display Port

Think this is what you need. That is if I figured out how to copy and paste on this thing.

OP
Sur3Mac
Reaction score
Thanks guys, both of you... I managed to cancel my order for the DVI to VGA.
Im not going to buy any more connectors, since I can start my own shop by now, dealing in secondhand ones:)lol

I'm returning the flakey ("I don't have a DVI or HDMI port in me, only a lame VGA") display, and just ordered myself a new one, the Packard Bell Maestro 222, with 22" display width.

Schermafbeelding2009-11-10om223150.png

It has DVI, VGA, an HDMI as well as on board speakers, and I just love how it kind of resembles the Apple display... a bit.
Thanks for the help, you at least saved me 35$, or 25 euro's;D

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You mean Packard Bell is still around? My last off-the-shelf machine (besides my Mac) was one of those sometime around 16-17 yrs ago. Swore I'd never buy another off-the-shelf computer again after that one.

That is a pretty good looking monitor though.

OP
Sur3Mac
Reaction score
Thanks, I'll be getting it tomorrow...;)
Can't wait.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.