Enabling Java

Reaction score
I'm in the Air Force, and we use a site called the Defense Travel System. I need to use it away from work, but when I try on my MacBook Pro I get the following message:

Loading Applet ...
You have reached this page because you want to use DTS. Before DTS can be used, JRE 1.5+ must be installed and applet support must be configured in the web browsers.

If you would like to get more details, select DBsign installation link

I'm running OS X version 10.7.5 and using Safari. I've searched hours for tutorials for how to get this fixed, but most of them tell me to go to the Java preferences app in the utilities folder, and to my understanding this app no longer exists anymore due to a somewhat recent update. It's definitely nowhere to be found on my computer. I made sure Java was enabled in Java preferences. Am I missing something, or is it now impossible to go on sites like this on a Mac? Thanks.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
You need to install Java manually (here). Apple no longer maintains Java for OS X (they gave control back to Oracle) and as such, it now works and is installed like any other third party application.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Java will updater through the apple update system, but needs to be installed first

On another note, when you update java you may need to resintall Java plugins for your browsers manually

This from the latest Java update from Apple

Java for OS X 2013-004 supersedes all previous versions of Java for OS X.

This update corrects an issue with Java applications failing to draw or respond to user input.

This release updates the Apple-provided system Java SE 6 to version 1.6.0_51 and is for OS X versions 10.7 or later.

This update uninstalls the Apple-provided Java applet plug-in from all web browsers. To use applets on a web page, click on the region labeled "Missing plug-in" to go download the latest version of the Java applet plug-in from Oracle.

This update also removes the Java Preferences application, which is no longer required to configure applet settings.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Java will updater through the apple update system, but needs to be installed first
If you install Java from Oracle, it has its own updating system now.

OP
U
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. Turns out, I just had to completely restart Safari. I feel pretty dumb, but it's working now.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.