Over my head with this bootcamp stuff

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone X, Watch 3, '18 MBP w/touchbar, '17 iPad Pro 10.5
Ok, My Ibook dies a few days ago and I have been shopping around for a windows based notebook. I was planning on dell until I cam axcross this bootcamp thing. Just so I got this right, Bootcamp will run any pc based apps? Yahoo messenger? USB based gps and mapping software? PC based games? Also, can I install my version of windows on an external harddrive and boot from that using bootcamp or does the windows os have to be on the mac hard drive itself? I am a computer dummy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP CD 1.83/2ghz/7200 100g + Mini 2ghz C2D 2gb + Mini 1.42ghz G4 + PM 7200/120 + Newton OMP
Bootcamp will allow you to run any Windows application that a Dell will run. In fact, my MBP (rev 1, 1.83ghz Core Duo w/2g RAM) runs Windows extremely well.

I rarely use it though, in fact the only time I ever use Bootcamp is when I want to run a Windows-based game. Otherwise I use Parallels, because it allows me to run Windows applications side-by-side with MacOS applications. Bootcamp has the advantage of allowing you to use graphics-intensive applications, but otherwise Parallels is far more convenient.

Unfortunately, Bootcamp does require you to use a partition on your Macbook's internal drive. Parallels would allow you to use one on an external drive. More information is at Apple's Bootcamp site.

FYI, you may not be a computer expert, but don't let the instructions on installing and running Bootcamp scare you off. It's really fairly trivial. I do recommend you doing this before installing anything else on your machine however.

Also, the installation of Windows under Parallels is even easier. The Parallels installation process asks a few questions and then performs a completely hands-off install of Windows XP.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone X, Watch 3, '18 MBP w/touchbar, '17 iPad Pro 10.5
OK, well I think I am going to get a macbook to replace my ibook that dies, I was going to get a dell instead. So with parallels, its not like running a microsoft emulator, its juat like having a windows pc? Where would I go about purchasing a windows os? Would the os disk that came with my wife's gateway allow me to load windows xp onto the macbook, or do I have to purchase a brand new license from microsoft? Sorry for all the questions, I am a computer moron and need to ensure I have all this straight before I purchase the macbook. I am active army and will be taking my macbook with me wherever I go and may not be able to purchase necessary programs later on.

Reaction score
OK, well I think I am going to get a macbook to replace my ibook that dies, I was going to get a dell instead. So with parallels, its not like running a microsoft emulator, its juat like having a windows pc? Where would I go about purchasing a windows os? Would the os disk that came with my wife's gateway allow me to load windows xp onto the macbook, or do I have to purchase a brand new license from microsoft? Sorry for all the questions, I am a computer moron and need to ensure I have all this straight before I purchase the macbook. I am active army and will be taking my macbook with me wherever I go and may not be able to purchase necessary programs later on.

No, Parallels is not an emulator, it is what is known as a virtualization, but if your into games you don't want Parallels at this time anyway as the 3d games do not at this time anyway run under Parallels. That may change in the future though as they keep adding new features every month or so. If your into games you will need to run Boot Camp, which is a beta and should be built into the next version of OS X.

If your mostly going to run regular windows programs then Parallels works very good at that and getting better each new version.

As far as a version of xp, the disk that came with your wife's Gateway would probably not work as it is a setup for the Gateway and is setup with the drivers the Gateway needs. Besides, it would be an illegal use. You would need to buy a set up version of xp. You can get one at almost any computer store, or Best Buy, Compusa, Frys, and Staples would have them.

JRV

Reaction score
What is the biggest program you can run in Parallels? Would Photoshop run in Parallels? Not that I would want to, just wondering how good Parallels is.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook C2D 2.0GHz 2GB RAM 250GB HDD
If you plan on buying a copy of windows xp do not pay the ridiculous prices at those retailers. Go to http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16832116175 and buy what is called an OEM copy, it is incredibly cheaper and exactly the same as buying it retail at a Staples or whatever. The only difference is that it doesn't come with all of the fancy packaging, but who needs that stuff anyways. You are just going to throw the wrapper out. Hope I helped.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Black 2ghz / 2g / 160g72k | Ipod nano black 4G
Yes OEM for like $130 is the way to go

and so far my apps run fine in paralells and if not in that, then runboot camp, if your not a hardcore gamer and macbook with 1g of ram (2g would be ideal if you plan to run alot of apps in paralell) then go nuts

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP CD 1.83/2ghz/7200 100g + Mini 2ghz C2D 2gb + Mini 1.42ghz G4 + PM 7200/120 + Newton OMP
What is the biggest program you can run in Parallels? Would Photoshop run in Parallels? Not that I would want to, just wondering how good Parallels is.

What's the biggest program you can run on a Windows box? Parallels will run Photoshop just fine. In fact, it almost certainly runs faster in Parallels than on an Intel Mac due to Rosetta.

If you plan on buying a copy of windows xp do not pay the ridiculous prices at those retailers. Go to http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16832116175 and buy what is called an OEM copy, it is incredibly cheaper and exactly the same as buying it retail at a Staples or whatever. The only difference is that it doesn't come with all of the fancy packaging, but who needs that stuff anyways. You are just going to throw the wrapper out. Hope I helped.

Also run a search on newegg for "Windows XP Home OEM" and you'll save another $40. Most people won't need the added features of XP Pro. The only feature of Pro that I really use is Remote Desktop support (Home comes with the RDC client, but only Pro comes with the server portion).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Black 2ghz / 2g / 160g72k | Ipod nano black 4G
^^^ good point, unless your using a domain, or do alot of file sharing and need very very specific permissions on those Files, home will suit all your needs.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.