Beware there is a mac trojan going around

Reaction score
Ok so I'm an IT tech and mostly work with windows and servers, but i love OSX and i know that its almost impossible to get viruses etc on mac.

Well i was having an issue yesterday, every time i was going to this forum website i would be redirected to "adobe flash.uk/uf/" it would then say adobe flash has crashed and then redirect to google.

tried it on goggle chrome and worked perfectly. Tried it on my phone and it was fine. I then checked the host file and everything was fine. So i looked a the internet plugins, and scripting additions but every seemed normal.

I did a software update, and reset safari no fix. Then uninstalled adobe flash and reinstalled adobe flash, then went into preferences and deleted all data from adobe but still wouldn't work. Keep in mind every other website was working normally all flash was fine on every other site.

After that was getting frustrated so i decided to get clamXav and scanned all my files. Well it found two files and one was a trojan.

I didn't think to save the file name but just beware.

I do a lot of torenting so i sure i got it on there from someone. Always check your files that you download, i use to on windows religiously but never thought to on my mac but i guess were gonna start seeing a lot more considering how big apple is becoming.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
THere are a few trojans going around, but you would have had to install something, most probably a false Flash update.

Make sure ALL updates are done by yourself from a trusted source, especially when a Flash update request suddenly comes up while browsing.

OP
J
Reaction score
Well thats the thing, i haven't installed any new software in months, the last thing i installed other than software updates was spotify.

Im not sure if i had this for a while and it just started taking effect.

Just wanted to get it out there in case anyone else was experiencing the same as me.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I do a lot of torenting so i sure i got it on there from someone.

I know there are times when downloading using torrent software is legal but unfortunately the majority of "stuff" that is available via that method is either pirated or illegal. We generally advise folks to stay away from those sites and like louishen advised be especially careful of flash downloads from other than Adobe.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Check your DNS servers - sounds like you're experiencing DNS redirects.

As louishen and chscag have noted, stay away from shady torrents. You seem to know the consequences so I'd suggest that you take note of what you already know. ;)

OP
J
Reaction score
Ya i mainly use it for shareware, or il upload large files myself that i need for work and then i can always download them if i need them if i don't have my computer or flash drive with me.

Although i know how people like to sneak thing into torrents.

I also thought it was DNS at first however when i switched over to OpenDNS i experienced the same, so i switched back to google.

Im not really sure why it chose that site to activate the trojan but for whatever reason it did.

Im gonna keep clamXav and scan once a month or so just to be sure.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook Pro i5 / 4GB / 250GB
I grow weary of everyone saying torrenting is mostly illegal. Here are some perfectly legitimate uses of torrent:
Mandriva Linux isos.
Political talk shows distributed exclusively via torrent.
music bands distribution (foo fighters)
Many educational softwares.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
I grow weary of everyone saying torrenting is mostly illegal. Here are some perfectly legitimate uses of torrent:
Mandriva Linux isos.
Political talk shows distributed exclusively via torrent.
music bands distribution (foo fighters)
Many educational softwares.

I'm not sure that counters the point that it's 'mostly' used for illegal activities. Sure there are some legitimate uses - but largely - that's not how it is used - nor are legitimate uses the driver behind the proliferation of torrent services.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I grow weary of everyone saying torrenting is mostly illegal.
Note the phrasing used in our posts:
I know there are times when downloading using torrent software is legal but unfortunately the majority of "stuff" that is available via that method is either pirated or illegal.
As louishen and chscag have noted, stay away from shady torrents.
We acknowledge that there are legal uses and are warning people about the illegal and problematic uses.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.