Iomega zip 100 Plus connection to iMac

Reaction score
Ext zip drive has a SCSI interface. Connected a SCSI to USB adapter cable to 27 iMac, but the iMac doesn't recognize the drive. I verified the drive operational by connecting it directly to an old OS9 Mac (SCSI to SCSI). Solution???

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I believe that you probably need some sort of driver (software) for the system to recognize the Zip drive. And I'm guessing that it has probably been a while since a driver for a Zip drive has been compatible with the Mac OS.

What Mac computer model & OS version was the last one used with the Zip drive where the Zip drive worked?

I verified the drive operational by connecting it directly to an old OS9 Mac (SCSI to SCSI).

Remember…the last Macintosh computer that came with a built-in SCSI port was probably around 1998 or older. That's 16 years ago…or 2000 years in "computer years"!;)

- Nick

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
IIRC several of those USB to SCSI adapters did not work well with OS X due to driver issues as Nick mentioned. The ones I am thinking of were made by Adaptec I think.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That's right, Adaptec made several series of SCSI cards back in the 90s and up thru the early 2000s. The last Adaptec card I had included a BIOS that you could optionally change setup for during boot up. That was for a PC not Mac.

Some of the best and fastest PC motherboards that were being sold during those years included a built in Adaptec SCSI chip. Tom probably remembers those since he's been building PCs for awhile.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.