I know there's been a lot of posts like this but I need an IDM

Reaction score
Hey,

I just switched to Mac last week. Now, I don't need to tell y'all how much I'm loving this.

The only thing I miss about Windows is IDM (Internet Download Manager).

I use my Windows 98% of the times for internet and 90% of my internet work is done with IDM.

Not just download accelerator, but link catching, live video downloads, audio downloads from ANY website is what makes it all easy. It's one stop for all my downloading - tv shows, videos, youtube, movies, mp3s, apps, everything.

Any alternative for Mac that does ALL?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Have a look at iGetter.

Cheers

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Be very careful with download managers. A quick search of the forum will show you that they are often more trouble than they are worth.

OP
A
Reaction score
Be very careful with download managers. A quick search of the forum will show you that they are often more trouble than they are worth.

Yeah, I read the same post somewhere. I'm guessing it was you there too. Could me brief me on this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
I, actually, came across it but never installed it.

Does it catch videos and audio files?

Not too sure. The Mac dl manager is good enough for my needs with the MAS, iTunes AppleTV so i have no need for one. Its just what google bought up. But do take heed in what vansmith has said. He know his stuff.

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro (Late-2011), 2.4 GHz Core i7, 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD
Another good download manager is "downthemall" - it's a browser extension for Firefox and Chrome. I use it in conjunction with FlashGot, and have yet to see any sort of trojan/virus/etc be downloaded by it (I use it on both Windows and OS X machines).

OP
A
Reaction score
Another good download manager is "downthemall" - it's a browser extension for Firefox and Chrome. I use it in conjunction with FlashGot, and have yet to see any sort of trojan/virus/etc be downloaded by it (I use it on both Windows and OS X machines).

Yeah I tried that. It doesn't accelerate downloads much. But I guess if I find nothing, I'll stick with that.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
But do take heed in what vansmith has said. He know his stuff.
I'm not just a pretty face around here. ;)

Yeah, I read the same post somewhere. I'm guessing it was you there too. Could me brief me on this?
Frequently, these get uninstalled improperly and end up precluding users from downloading anything at all (people will commonly get blank pages when they click to download files). Generally, with a reasonably fast broadband connection, you shouldn't need to use any DMs anyway.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro (Late-2011), 2.4 GHz Core i7, 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD
Yeah I tried that. It doesn't accelerate downloads much. But I guess if I find nothing, I'll stick with that.

I don't use it for acceleration. No real need for that with faster broadband connections. I use it to download files to specific folders based on type and use the FlashGot extension to download videos.

OP
A
Reaction score

Frequently, these get uninstalled improperly and end up precluding users from downloading anything at all (people will commonly get blank pages when they click to download files). Generally, with a reasonably fast broadband connection, you shouldn't need to use any DMs anyway.

512Kbps (download speed 64KBps with IDM, 50-54KBps without)

Does AppTrap help uninstalling completely?

Will it, otherwise, affect my system majorly?

OP
A
Reaction score
I don't use it for acceleration. No real need for that with faster broadband connections. I use it to download files to specific folders based on type and use the FlashGot extension to download videos.

Oh cool.. Thanks.. I'll look into that later.. I appreciate your help. That'll be my second last resort. :)

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
512Kbps (download speed 64KBps with IDM, 50-54KBps without)

If you install something with an installer, use the appropriate uninstaller and not something like AppTrap. If it's a simple "drag and drop" install, you can just trash it most likely.

OP
A
Reaction score
If you install something with an installer, use the appropriate uninstaller and not something like AppTrap. If it's a simple "drag and drop" install, you can just trash it most likely.

Well, that is what I've been doing so far. I just got an update of AppTrap and that's when I read about it, hence asked. I didn't get your first line, though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Steer well and truly clear of all download managers and just work with the Mac OS X download manager. In particular avoid like the plague all those that 'claim' to increase download speed, in particular SpeedDownload which is the very devil to remove.

OP
A
Reaction score
Steer well and truly clear of all download managers and just work with the Mac OS X download manager. In particular avoid like the plague all those that 'claim' to increase download speed, in particular SpeedDownload which is the very devil to remove.

Yeah I know, have heard about it. What do you mean by Mac OS X Download Manager?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Your right on the ball there ;)
But honestly my perception of you from my knowledge of you on here is very south of what ive seen on G+ lol

As the *Pretty Face* posted if it has a uninstaller use that, but out of all the Apps like AppTrap over a period of time i have found this does the best job of removing all those nitty gritty little files that hang around.
And before some say that they are minimal and take up no space at all to worry about them, well i like a clean as i can system and it doesnt hurt using it. Darg to the trash (if no uninstaller) and let AppTrap do the rest. It will prompt you to make sure you want to complete the command but very nice little App.

Cheers

OP
A
Reaction score
But honestly my perception of you from my knowledge of you on here is very south of what ive seen on G+ lol

As the *Pretty Face* posted if it has a uninstaller use that, but out of all the Apps like AppTrap over a period of time i have found this does the best job of removing all those nitty gritty little files that hang around.
And before some say that they are minimal and take up no space at all to worry about them, well i like a clean as i can system and it doesnt hurt using it. Darg to the trash (if no uninstaller) and let AppTrap do the rest. It will prompt you to make sure you want to complete the command but very nice little App.

Cheers

Oh! Gotcha! Thanks so much.

Well the only apps I trashed were Adobe softwares that my sis-in-law used and were no use for me (trashed and not uninstalled with the uninstaller). So I don't guess, that should be a problem.

Did "pretty face" say that AppTrap isn't good?

What do you think about AppTrap?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Was it the fro that ruined your perception? ;)

Well the only apps I trashed were Adobe softwares that my sis-in-law used and were no use for me (trashed and not uninstalled with the uninstaller). So I don't guess, that should be a problem.
Most Adobe software has an installer of some sort so it's possible that for a complete uninstall, there may be an uninstaller. What apps did you remove?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.