Lexmark Double Sided Printing Greyed Out/Not Selectable

Reaction score
Hi all,
I've got a Lexmark printer from which I can use double sided printing fine through the utility for Windows.

However, from my new MacBook Pro it doesn't let me choose the double sided option as it is greyed out or unselectable and it just says Two-Sided: Off.

I've tried various help pages on Lexmark's website, I've got the latest drivers for Leopard but it hasn't helped - as for Lexmark's support...pfft! I think they're all sleeping at workl phones are never answered.

It seems many people are experiencing the same on all various printer brands and someone had given a HP solution download but obviously it won't sort this LM printer out!

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21" 2.4G 320G HD OS Snow Leopard. Win7 on Dell PC Inspiron i5 8g Ram 1TB HD
Same problem

I have the same problem using a Z705 Lexmark. Let me know what works Van

LWC

Reaction score
From the Lexmark FTP site:
ftp://ftp.lexmark.com/driver/inkjet_drivers/MAC/Lexmark_CUPS_Driver Patch_1_0_0.pkg.zip

Contents:
*** Lexmark_CUPS_Driver Patch_1_0_0.pkg.zip

SUMMARY
- The Lexmark CUPS Driver Patch will fix problems with duplex printing on Mac OS X 10.5.x.

INSTRUCTIONS
- If driver is not already installed, install the printer driver.
- Install the CUPS Driver patch
1. Unzip Lexmark_CUPS_Driver_Patch_1_0_0.pkg.zip.
2. Launch Lexmark_CUPS_Driver_Patch_1_0_0.pkg.
3. Follow the setup instructions and accept the License Agreement when prompted.
4. Complete the installation.
- You are now ready to print duplex jobs.

MORE INFORMATION
- You may still encounter problems with printing duplex jobs in some instances when using Best print quality, selecting no borders and number of pages per sheet is set to 6.

APPLIES TO
Printer Models: 6500 Series, 7500 Series, 9500 Series, 4800 Series, and 1500 Series
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5.x

*** Lexmark PDE patch for Mac OS X 10.5.dmg
Applied to 9500 and 9300 for 10.5 patch to print using usb until full driver is ready from www.lexmark.com

OP
V
Reaction score
It's an X4550.

And thanks LWC, I think that's the same thing I tried last week with no luck.

However, I plan on doing a clean install and trying the above again. Until then, I've e-mailed Lexmark's Mac engineers team and am awaiting their response.

M

MacHeadCase

Excellent idea to email support for a product ! They're the ones that can best help, they made the product and know its limitations.

If they ever do get back to you, please post the answer, it might help others with the same dilemma as yours.

OP
V
Reaction score
Yeah, support sure does help but I'm not so sure this is a printer problem. The printer works great with Windows and I've seen other Mac users having similar problems with other brands of printers.

Reaction score
Duplex Printing on Lexmark Printer grayed-out

I had the same problem and finally was able to figure out the problem.

Go to: File, Print, drop down menu that says copies & pages, go to Layout, two sided: off drop down menu, and choose either Long edge binding or short edge binding, then hit print.

I kept looking for something to turn the two sided printing on but this was it. The printer is trying to find out how you want the pages to be printed. Either opening left to right double sided (like a book), which is long edge binding, or flip over from bottom to top which is short edge binding.

Try it, this works.

OP
V
Reaction score
I had the same problem and finally was able to figure out the problem.

Go to: File, Print, drop down menu that says copies & pages, go to Layout, two sided: off drop down menu, and choose either Long edge binding or short edge binding, then hit print.

I kept looking for something to turn the two sided printing on but this was it. The printer is trying to find out how you want the pages to be printed. Either opening left to right double sided (like a book), which is long edge binding, or flip over from bottom to top which is short edge binding.

Try it, this works.
The problem is that the drop down box is greyed out so I can't select edge binding etc.

Out of interest, is an X4550 you have or do you have some other model of printer and what drivers are you using?

Cheers!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21" 2.4G 320G HD OS Snow Leopard. Win7 on Dell PC Inspiron i5 8g Ram 1TB HD
Printer problem

I never get a drop down menu,so I can't make any selection.I called lexmark support, and an Indian tech?? answered and said my printer wouldn't work with OS 10.5 which I have.It works, but without any drop down menus available.Oh well.

OP
V
Reaction score
I have an X6575.

That's probably the difference then.

X4550 doesn't have double sided printing per se, so you have to 'manual duplex' which essentially means taking the printer pages out and re-inserting them so the other (blank) side is printed upon.

There's an option for this in Windows but not on OS X it seems.

Reaction score
Might help

Clearly I am very late to this party but I had the same problem. Having downloaded the latest driver, I then deleted the printer from my list in system pres and then reselected it but went for the one that started with a '@' as I was using it on a network. It now works.

I should also say I was using an x544

Reaction score
Link to CUP river doesn't open

I am having the same problems. OS x 10.7
It always tels me that the duplex unit is not installed.
Now I found the solution as quoted but the link doesn't open.

From the Lexmark FTP site:
ftp://ftp.lexmark.com/driver/inkjet_drivers/MAC/Lexmark_CUPS_Driver Patch_1_0_0.pkg.zip

Contents:
*** Lexmark_CUPS_Driver Patch_1_0_0.pkg.zip

SUMMARY
- The Lexmark CUPS Driver Patch will fix problems with duplex printing on Mac OS X 10.5.x.

INSTRUCTIONS
- If driver is not already installed, install the printer driver.
- Install the CUPS Driver patch
1. Unzip Lexmark_CUPS_Driver_Patch_1_0_0.pkg.zip.
2. Launch Lexmark_CUPS_Driver_Patch_1_0_0.pkg.
3. Follow the setup instructions and accept the License Agreement when prompted.
4. Complete the installation.
- You are now ready to print duplex jobs.

MORE INFORMATION
- You may still encounter problems with printing duplex jobs in some instances when using Best print quality, selecting no borders and number of pages per sheet is set to 6.

APPLIES TO
Printer Models: 6500 Series, 7500 Series, 9500 Series, 4800 Series, and 1500 Series
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5.x

*** Lexmark PDE patch for Mac OS X 10.5.dmg
Applied to 9500 and 9300 for 10.5 patch to print using usb until full driver is ready from Printers: Toner, All In One Printers, and Printer Ink | Lexmark

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I am having the same problems. OS x 10.7
It always tels me that the duplex unit is not installed.
Now I found the solution as quoted but the link doesn't open.

That link was posted more than 3 years ago. I suggest you go directly to Lexmark and try to find your driver (probably through Support in the site menu).

Reaction score
Thanks. I am not so familiar with forums and obviously I overlooked the posting date. It is however regretful Lexmark has still no proper software which avoids this problem.
Will contact Lexmark.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.