Network Drive Search?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro i7 Quadcore 15"
Hi, newbie here. Been al around the web looking for an answer to this one...

I have a WD Network Drive, I can access it fine, it's there in the sidebar of Finder but I can't seem to search it for particular files etc. (I click on it, then click on 'shared' folder on the WD and type a file name in the search field, but when hitting return 'Searching This Mac' is displayed), any ideas please, I've pasted below some info that was on here from a long time ago by the looks of it but I need a more step by step explanation of the process, thanks in advance for any help with this issue, best wishes, Phil.

USE THE TERMINAL OPTION mdutil.
It has a switch, -i, to enable indexing on a volume. So I just went ahead as root (sudo bash) and ran:
sudo bash. (my network drive example is named "ldm" so replace ldm by your network drive name)
mdutil /Volumes/ldm -i on
Then I checked the status with
mdutil /Volumes/ldm -s
And, behold ... I got back the following:
/Volumes/ldm/:

A second later, the Spotlight Icon started pulsating. Half an hour later, it stopped. I went to a Finder window, typed a query, and selected the network volume ldm. To my delight, matches were coming back instantaneously on files deep down in the file hierarchy on that volume. I have not checked whether newly added files are indexed on the fly, too, and I do not know where the .Spotlight-V100 file is stored (not in the root of the volume in question it seems).

I thought that others may give it a try to confirm whether this is working as expected. The volume I tested this with was an AFP volume served via NETATALK (v. 2.0.2) by my Linux server (a x86 debian box). Unfortunately, it appears to fail with SAMBA. I have not checked NFS. One caveat: you must rerun the mdutil command each time the volume is mounted.

Hope it helps someone!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.

I have a WD Network Drive, I can access it fine, it's there in the sidebar of Finder but I can't seem to search it for particular files etc. (I click on it, then click on 'shared' folder on the WD and type a file name in the search field, but when hitting return 'Searching This Mac' is displayed), any ideas please, I've pasted below some info that was on here from a long time ago by the looks of it but I need a more step by step explanation of the process, thanks in advance for any help with this issue, best wishes, Phil.

For the sake of clarity, here's a link to the actual posting of the tip the OP referenced:
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os...xing-network-drive-spotlight.html#post1152076

Rather than bothering with trying to force Spotlight to index a network drive, especially considering you have to re-do it each time it's mounted, try using EasyFind. It's a GREAT tool and superior to Spotlight in some ways.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro i7 Quadcore 15"
Thanks

Just using it now, I'll let you know if it works for me, thanks again, Phil.

Reaction score
Network Drive Search

I tried EasyFind and it worked well, but very slowly with My Cloud.
I tried NeoFinder, it took 15 hours to catalogue around 200,000 files. From the software I could do keyword filename search, which opened almost instantly, and I could open any file on the list almost instantly, from My Cloud.
MacBook Air, OSX 10.11.3, WD My Cloud 4TB

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.