Buying a new iPad

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 16 Inch 2019 MacOS Catalina 10.15.3 (19D76)
I might buy a new iPad as a gift for Christmas. I'm on a budget. Where is the best place to purchase an iPad? I am a strong believer in Apple Care. Does Apple run specials?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You didn't say where you are, however, your local Apple store is probably the best place to purchase an iPad. You can also buy Apple care at the same time. And no, Apple does not run specials in the same way other manufacturers do. They do offer discounts on refurbished products and also give an educational discount to those who qualify.

OP
MacLover2011
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You didn't say where you are, however, your local Apple store is probably the best place to purchase an iPad. You can also buy Apple care at the same time. And no, Apple does not run specials in the same way other manufacturers do. They do offer discounts on refurbished products and also give an educational discount to those who qualify.

Thanks. I'm in the NYC area. I know Verizon sells iPads. But can I buy Apple Care from Verizon?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Pretty much any place that sells Apple products...sells them for exactly the same price as the Apple Store (Apple controls this). Sometimes you may see something for a little bit less at Walmart or Target or Best Buy...but it may only be like $50 bucks.

Or if it's a product like an iPhone or iPad...a cellular store may sell the hardware (iPhone or iPad) at a very low price...but they lock you into a 2+ year contract.

If you don't necessarily need a brand new iPad...these guys seem to have some terrific deals on used stuff (cellular iPad 1's from $155):

- PowerMax

Their inventory seems a bit "thin" at the moment (probably due to Christmas). 2-3 weeks ago they had all sorts of great deals/choices on used iPads. I'm sure the inventory changes frequently.

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Thanks. I'm in the NYC area. I know Verizon sells iPads. But can I buy Apple Care from Verizon?

You sure can. I have a Verizon iPad with cellular and bought Apple care plus the accidental damage insurance at the same time.

OP
MacLover2011
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You sure can. I have a Verizon iPad with cellular and bought Apple care plus the accidental damage insurance at the same time.

Awesome. :Cool:

C

chas_m

Since you're in New York City, you can check B&N for any possible specials. As others have said, the price of the iPad (new ones, anyway) isn't really discounted -- though some merchants will offer a gift card on some occasions.

Here's a handy guide to prices at the moment: AppleInsider | News and rumors since 1997

As you can see, nothing much going on (but as its a hot new product, that's to be expected). For a 16GB iPad Air, I notice that Staples and Walmart and MacMall have it for $20 off. That's currently the best deal on a new model available -- if you were willing to travel to New Hampshire to get it from say Staples, you'd also save sales tax (IIRC they don't charge sales tax there). That would provide an additional "discount" that might even pay for the gas ... :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Since you're in New York City, you can check B&N for any possible specials.

Member chas_m really meant to say B&H Photo in New York City. They're an authorized Apple reseller and sometimes run specials. One thing they do discount is Apple care. But right now folks are doing their Christmas shopping and Apple items are in high demand. Don't expect much in the way of any kind of discount especially on the iPad Air which is selling like hot cakes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Get the iPad Mini Retina Display ~ No need to say any more :)

OP
MacLover2011
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

That's something to look into. I hope they sell AppleCare through the website.

OP
MacLover2011
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A few more questions if you don't mind. :)

Do you recommend getting the iPad 2nd Generation or go for the new one?
AND.... if I ever have to get my iPad replaced.... the Apple employe said "they can't say it's a new one" because it's "not out of the box." But he would not say it was a refurbished one either. What's the catch? Are they floor models they are giving us? By the way, this iPad is for a kid not me.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Note number 1: You have to purchase the special accidental Apple Care coverage at the same time you purchase the iPad. You can't purchase it later for obvious reasons.

Next: Chances are, Apple will issue you a new iPad but the caveat here is that they do not have to. They can according to the Apple Care coverage for the iPad and iPhone, give you a refurbished unit instead.

If you're purchasing an iPad for a child (you said kid, what age?) you might want to buy a 3rd or 4th generation version instead of the new iPad Air.

OP
MacLover2011
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Note number 1: You have to purchase the special accidental Apple Care coverage at the same time you purchase the iPad. You can't purchase it later for obvious reasons.

Next: Chances are, Apple will issue you a new iPad but the caveat here is that they do not have to. They can according to the Apple Care coverage for the iPad and iPhone, give you a refurbished unit instead.

If you're purchasing an iPad for a child (you said kid, what age?) you might want to buy a 3rd or 4th generation version instead of the new iPad Air.

The Apple Sales Person said I had 29 days to purchase Apple Care.
Are 3rd and 4th generations refurbished? I really should like to get her the news ones. She is soon to be 13. Is there much difference? I know, I'm thick. LOL

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The 29 days he was referring to is the normal Apple Care without accidental damage coverage. When you opt for the accidental damage coverage, it has to be purchased at the same time. Also, I'm pretty sure you can still buy a new 3rd or 4th generation iPad. Depends if the Apple Store has them in stock.

OP
MacLover2011
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The 29 days he was referring to is the normal Apple Care without accidental damage coverage. When you opt for the accidental damage coverage, it has to be purchased at the same time.

Okay. Thanks for letting me know that. Do other vendor (Verizon) offer the Accidental Damage Coverage?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I believe Verizon, AT&T, and T-Mobile, all offer the same coverage as Apple. But I would ask first before buying it direct from them.

OP
MacLover2011
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I believe Verizon, AT&T, and T-Mobile, all offer the same coverage as Apple. But I would ask first before buying it direct from them.

Will do. I definitely want to get that accident plan.

C

chas_m

Since this is for a 13-year-old, I would suggest getting either the current non-Retina iPad mini or the Retina one. The mini will likely be a much better fit for a young person than the full-size iPad.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.