Cleaning up Startup Disk?

Reaction score
yea, could someone explain to me how I do this? I've been getting notices on my computer that it is full. thanks!

OP
A
Reaction score
you mean that your hard drive is full???

it seems to be, like i probably just need to go through and delete old programs and stuff. Maybe its my music...its at 10 gigs. Anyways, if I could just know how to clean up the start up disk, if someone could post that, thanks.

J

jamesx

well, it seems you might have a couple options. if you have 10 gigs of music, you could put a bigger hard drive in your computer (but you would lose all current data if you dont back it up) or you could buy an external hard drive to but your music on and then delete all or some off your computer. another option would be like you said and to delete some of the software/ aplications that you do not use. how big is your hard drive? how much have you used so far?

hope this helps.

Reaction score
Any Mac Software, eg: GarageBand, etc that you think you don't need can be Trashed.

It can be extracted at any time from your Software & Install DVD, using the 3rd Party app:

Pacifist.

Reaction score
I don't have the exact figure, but it takes up a humungous amount of space ..

OP
A
Reaction score
well that pacifist thing did absolutely NOTHING. It says drag the applications to onto the box or whatever but then it says there is an error because it can't recognize the file or whatever. Why can't I just put garageband in the trash or delete it? Won't that free up space??

OP
A
Reaction score
what about Onyx? Should I get that? Sorry for sounding so dweebish but I am new when it comes to "fixing" problems with my computer. On my last PC I just paid somebody to come through when I noticed it was a going slower...lol

Reaction score
well that pacifist thing did absolutely NOTHING. It says drag the applications to onto the box or whatever but then it says there is an error because it can't recognize the file or whatever. Why can't I just put garageband in the trash or delete it? Won't that free up space??

When Pulse-8 spoke of Pacifist, he didn't mean it would help you get rid of mac software.

He meant that you can simply trash Garageband, but if you ever need it again you can insert your Software & Install DVD, choose what you want to reinstall, and use Pacifist to reinstall it rather than restoring your entire system to get it back.

As for Onyx, I have no clue. I've never used it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.