new to mac

Reaction score
Hello everyone
i have for years been apc user(windows systems)
I have just decided to switch to a mac, having no experience in the mac area I hope that I can find some sympathetic advice here.
I decided to first buy a second hand system, but I appear to be unable to find any clear indication of exactly what the system contains as it is in Dutch and I would like to change the os language to english.
Can anyone advise me on the steps to take?
The computer is :
Powermac G5,
Powermac 11,2 2x2GHz,
1.5GB , Sata 149,05 GB, GeForce 6600Le, 128MB,
Does this machine have 1 or 2 cores, and can I replace the hd with say a 2tetrabyte drive and what is the maximum ram that I can install as I want to run adobe master collection and som other memory hungry progams,
As I have said earlier I have no Mac experience and would appreciate some advice ,to help me to understand,(What all the gobbeldy gook of the description of the computer means, as well as change the os to english,
Hope that some one can help me ,my email is [email protected]:[

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Workstation Airport Extreme ATV 2 Ipad
On the left upper screen there is a Apple Icon click on > About this MAC> More info
It gives you a full specification of you're Mac including a serial number .
Using that serial number a Apple retailer and maybe some one on this forum can tell you how much RAM you're system can handle .
About the language System preference >Language and Text might change the default language .
During install a MAC load a lot of languages .

Reaction score
Reply to jackonl

Hello everyone
i have for years been apc user(windows systems)
I have just decided to switch to a mac, having no experience in the mac area I hope that I can find some sympathetic advice here.
I decided to first buy a second hand system, but I appear to be unable to find any clear indication of exactly what the system contains as it is in Dutch and I would like to change the os language to english.
The computer is :
Powermac G5,
Powermac 11,2 2x2GHz,
Does this machine have 1 or 2 cores, and can I replace the hd with say a 2tetrabyte drive and what is the maximum ram that I can install as I want to run adobe master collection and som other memory hungry progams,
As I have said earlier I have no Mac experience and would appreciate some advice ,to help me to understand,(What all the gobbeldy gook of the description of the computer means, as well as change the os to english,
Hope that some one can help me ,my email is [email protected]:[

Hi there new Mac owner,
I also am quite new to the MAC. I like a lot of the features but in some areas the PC has it beat I am afraid. I do not understand why people say they have switched from one to the other. Will your wife not allow you to have two computers? I have many computers and I enjoy them all. My MAC is a G4 and I have OSX Tiger installed.
It works very well for me and I am not up to a power user yet but who cares? I have fun with it and I can get done just about anything I want to do.
Here is what I did... I went down to the Library and got out a few big books on the MAC and did a little reading. You also can download a lot of free pdf e books all about using the MAC. Look around online and you will find a lot of user manuals for the Mac many that you can download free.
But forums and similar web sites can be a huge help too ...mostly when you have one significant problem that has you stumped...
So hope you have a lot o fun with your new used MAC..
About the Dutch language... you might get a copy of the OS online and install it over what you have on there now...if you cannot get the DUTCH language converted...
That is about it... take care now....... peace and love...... out...:Cool:

C

chas_m

Hello everyone

Hi, welcome!

You can change the language to English in the System Preferences (fourth item under the Apple menu, then look for "international" or something like that).

The computer is :
Powermac G5,
Powermac 11,2 2x2GHz,

Very old machine you have there. Usable, but just barely. Was made obsolete by the transition to Intel in 2006.

Does this machine have 1 or 2 cores

It has two processors with two cores each.

You can run the last release of Leopard on this machine, which will (barely) allow you to stay current software-wise (latest iTunes, QuickTime, security updates etc) but not for very much longer. You will need to find a retail copy of Leopard for PPC which will run you $100 or so as its very scarce now. Note that you CANNOT use any "gray" system discs but only a RETAIL (black disc) copy of Leopard.

and can I replace the hd with say a 2tetrabyte drive and what is the maximum ram that I can install as I want to run adobe master collection and som other memory hungry progams,

1. I think so, that machine does support Serial ATA (SATA).

2. Maximum RAM is 16GB. It 240-pin PC2-4200 (533MHz) DDR2 ECC. I *strongly* recommend buying from OWC for this as a sure-fire way of getting the right RAM for this machine, and you must buy in matched pairs.

3. You cannot run any current version of Adobe Master Collection on that machine, it's too old and does not use (and cannot be upgraded to) an Intel processor. I think CS3 is the last version you will be able to use, though PARTS of the CS4 collection would also run on that machine (all the parts I would use, the print stuff like PS, AI and ID). You will run into this problem of current software A LOT, so either get used to running/finding older versions or save up to get a newer machine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.