Javascript not working with the new 10.8.2 update?

Reaction score
Hello,
The other day I upgraded my computer (Macbook Air) to the new Mountain Lion version 10.8.2. It does say that Java 7 is installed and it is activated on my browsers. However, when I try to do something online that requires Java, it is not working. I have tried it on Google Chrome, Firefox, and Safari with no luck.
Any solutions to this problem?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac
the title is wrong, Javascript is different with java,

try to reinstall java, or update if available..

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Java 7 won't work with Chrome since Java 7 is 64bit and Chrome is only 32bit. However, it should work elsewhere.

If you go to this test page, does Java load?

OP
M
Reaction score
the title is wrong, Javascript is different with java,

try to reinstall java, or update if available..

I did. I was on the phone with an hour and a half with AppleCare last night and even they didn't know what was wrong. My computer shows that I have Java 7, but in Java Preferences, I only see 2 versions of Java 6.

OP
M
Reaction score
Java 7 won't work with Chrome since Java 7 is 64bit and Chrome is only 32bit. However, it should work elsewhere.

If you go to this test page, does Java load?

No, it doesn't. Java has worked with Chrome before though. And in my Java Preferences, I have both a 64-bit version and a 32-bit version, apparently.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Java 6 should work fine with Chrome since, as you've discovered, Apple has provided a 32bit version.

There are two possibilities. First, ensure that Java is enabled in Java Preferences. Although Java may be enabled, applet functionality may not. In Java Preferences, make sure the "Enable applet plug-in and Web Start applications" is checked. If it's not, that's your problem.

If it is already checked, go to chrome://plugins/ (yes, that is a valid URL in Chrome). In the list that appears, ensure that Java is enabled.

OP
M
Reaction score
Java 6 should work fine with Chrome since, as you've discovered, Apple has provided a 32bit version.

There are two possibilities. First, ensure that Java is enabled in Java Preferences. Although Java may be enabled, applet functionality may not. In Java Preferences, make sure the "Enable applet plug-in and Web Start applications" is checked. If it's not, that's your problem.

If it is already checked, go to chrome://plugins/ (yes, that is a valid URL in Chrome). In the list that appears, ensure that Java is enabled.

I don't see a box that says "Enable applet plug-in and Web Start applications" in my Java Preferences. This is what I see:
p6mte.png

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This is because you've got Java 7 installed. Before we start uninstalling/reinstalling unnecessarily, did you try the second suggestion in my last post?

OP
M
Reaction score
This is because you've got Java 7 installed. Before we start uninstalling/reinstalling unnecessarily, did you try the second suggestion in my last post?

Yeah, that's the first thing I did when I realized it wasn't working. I checked that it was enabled in my Chrome preferences and it was.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It sounds like the Java 7 installation is blocking things here. Unless you need Java 7 specifically, follow the instructions here to remove it and restore Java 6 as the default.

OP
M
Reaction score
It sounds like the Java 7 installation is blocking things here. Unless you need Java 7 specifically, follow the instructions here to remove it and restore Java 6 as the default.

Okay, in the second step when I go to the terminal, it asks me to enter my password in the box that comes up. It's not letting me type anything though.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes it is - you're not supposed to see anything. This is a security feature. Just type it in and press enter.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Have you tried re-opening Java Preferences? If you followed those steps, you should have the older and (in my opinion) better version which should allow you to enable applets.

OP
M
Reaction score
Have you tried re-opening Java Preferences? If you followed those steps, you should have the older and (in my opinion) better version which should allow you to enable applets.

Yeah. I did that and pressed the "enable" button which I now see at the top. But it still doesn't work. At this point, I'm not sure if it's a Mac issue or just an issue with the site. Like I said, I was on the phone with AppleCare last night and they couldn't figure it out. They sent in a report to the engineers. But I also contacted the site and they said they'd look into it as well.
But thanks for your help!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.