Strange software update issue

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 2.4Ghz C2D iMac, 2GB RAM, 320GB HD - iMac 17, 1.83 GHz C2D - Mac Mini - Airport Extreme Base
Hi,

Since I've installed Leopard, I click on Software Updates every day to see if there's anything new and for the strangest reason, this is the third time I get:

iMac Graphics Firmaware Update
This update is for 20-inch and 24-inch aluminum iMac computers with the ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro graphics running Mac OS X 10.4.10 with iMac software update 1.2.1 or Leopard with iMac software update 1.3.

It updates the graphics firmware on the ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro to improve system stability.

I already installed that update, what the heck is going on?

Also, isn't it normal for a firmware update to ask you to reboot after installation? This one didn't.

Thanks,
Gene

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
If you are still getting that and it didn't ask you to reboot, it didn't install. Download it and try again. Firmware updates are weird and involve multiple reboots and holding the power key down.

OP
gemigene
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 2.4Ghz C2D iMac, 2GB RAM, 320GB HD - iMac 17, 1.83 GHz C2D - Mac Mini - Airport Extreme Base
If you are still getting that and it didn't ask you to reboot, it didn't install. Download it and try again. Firmware updates are weird and involve multiple reboots and holding the power key down.

Thanks Baggss, I'll try it again and see what happens. Weird thing is that it showed me this update in Tiger (installed, no reboot) and now on Leopard.

Gene

OP
gemigene
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just did it twice in a row and every time, it says update installed successfully but no reboot. When I do Software Update again, still shows as an update.

M

MacHeadCase

Salut Gene!

Go to Apple.com/support/downloads and download it manually: this will bypass Software Update.

OP
gemigene
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Salut toi,

Merci! I'll give that a try...

Gene

Reaction score
Strange, have a look in System Preferences ~> Software Update ~> Installed Updates to see if you have more that one instance of this update already installed on your iMac.

OP
gemigene
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
gemigene
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Spawn__Dooley;531904 said:
Strange, have a look in System Preferences ~> Software Update ~> Installed Updates to see if you have more that one instance of this update already installed on your iMac.

Only got one instance IMac Graphics Firmware Update in my applications/utilities folder. Now that it's updated (reboot and all), can I delete this file?

But in software updates > installed updates, it shows 4 times. Could it be because it didn't really install on the first 3 attempts?

Gene

OP
gemigene
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Also, ran Software Update again but this time it didn't show.
Can I remove these 3 extra instances from the updates log or should I just leave them there?

Gene

M

MacHeadCase

Don't get rid of those, Gene. That's how Software Update knows what it needs to install or not.

I would manually apply once again the 10.5.1 update using the same method meaning going directly to apple.com and downloading.

OP
gemigene
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Don't get rid of those, Gene. That's how Software Update knows what it needs to install or not.

OK, I'll leave them alone...

I would manually apply once again the 10.5.1 update using the same method meaning going directly to apple.com and downloading.

Oops, I'm a little confused. the graphics firmware update did work from the manual install I downloaded from apple (screen saying to close all applications, went through the install routine, reboot and all), I have to do it again?

If I check for Software Updates, it doesn't show any more updates, it should be installed, right? Also, if I do "about this Mac", it says Mac OS X, version 10.5.1...

Looks right to me, what's your opinion?

Merci,
Gene

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.8 Ghz 4GB RAM OS X 10.5.1
OK, I'll leave them alone...

Oops, I'm a little confused. the graphics firmware update did work from the manual install I downloaded from apple (screen saying to close all applications, went through the install routine, reboot and all), I have to do it again?

If I check for Software Updates, it doesn't show any more updates, it should be installed, right? Also, if I do "about this Mac", it says Mac OS X, version 10.5.1...

Looks right to me, what's your opinion?

Merci,
Gene

Yes if you don't see it on the software update list, it installed. Give your computer 1 reboot just to be safe, because I'm having a tough time understanding what you did.

M

MacHeadCase

Yeah not sure either.

Gene I thought you said there were problems with 10.5.1? In this case, after having manually installed the iMac Graphics Firmaware Update, I would reapply the 10.5.1 patch and see if all this wouldn't fix the weirdness. I would do the same as for the Firmware update, manually download the 10.5.1 installer.

Here's the sequence I would go through:

- go to apple.com/support/downloads and download the 10.5.1 update for your Mac model

- restart holding down the Shift key (Safe Boot mode), log in my user account

- install the downloaded update

- restart normally.

See where this takes you and report back. Good luck! :)

OP
gemigene
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah not sure either.

Gene I thought you said there were problems with 10.5.1? In this case, after having manually installed the iMac Graphics Firmaware Update, I would reapply the 10.5.1 patch and see if all this wouldn't fix the weirdness. I would do the same as for the Firmware update, manually download the 10.5.1 installer.

Here's the sequence I would go through:

- go to apple.com/support/downloads and download the 10.5.1 update for your Mac model

- restart holding down the Shift key (Safe Boot mode), log in my user account

- install the downloaded update

- restart normally.

See where this takes you and report back. Good luck! :)

Bonjour,

I downloaded the 10.5.1 update and it's sitting there ready to be installed.

A few questions though before I proceed, I already did this as soon as I did an A&I install of Leopard, as soon as I rebooted with the new OS, I downloaded this update and ran it.

So, doing it again won't screw anything up (will overwrite the files only)?
Will it add double entries in the install log and how important are they, even though there would be duplicates (as in the video firmware, where I have 4 instances of this update in the log)?

This 10.5.1 update was supposed to fix certain Airport issues but I still get kicked out of my LAN every so often, especially if I'm using Transmission in the background to download torrents.

Thanks,
Gene

OP
gemigene
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes if you don't see it on the software update list, it installed. Give your computer 1 reboot just to be safe, because I'm having a tough time understanding what you did.

When I fired up my iMac this morning, everything was fine and when I checked to see if there were any available software updates, it didn't show any.

I assume that only the graphics firmware was the problematic update and the automatic installer didn't deal with it correctly.

Gene

M

MacHeadCase

Bonjour,

I downloaded the 10.5.1 update and it's sitting there ready to be installed.

A few questions though before I proceed, I already did this as soon as I did an A&I install of Leopard, as soon as I rebooted with the new OS, I downloaded this update and ran it.

So, doing it again won't screw anything up (will overwrite the files only)?
Will it add double entries in the install log and how important are they, even though there would be duplicates (as in the video firmware, where I have 4 instances of this update in the log)?

This 10.5.1 update was supposed to fix certain Airport issues but I still get kicked out of my LAN every so often, especially if I'm using Transmission in the background to download torrents.

Thanks,
Gene

Ben non, it won't screw up anything.

Au contraire, my good friend! If there are things that are a bit wonky, reapplying the update might fix them. It has happened to me on maybe two occasions where reapplying an update corrected weird behaviour.

But just to make sure, before applying, restart in Safe Boot and install when you have logged in your account. then restart after the install.

OP
gemigene
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ben non, it won't screw up anything.

Au contraire, my good friend! If there are things that are a bit wonky, reapplying the update might fix them. It has happened to me on maybe two occasions where reapplying an update corrected weird behaviour.

But just to make sure, before applying, restart in Safe Boot and install when you have logged in your account. then restart after the install.

OK, Marci... LOL!

Will do that now.

Moé, cibole

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.