The rubber thingie on the bottom is peeling off my MacBook!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro on OS X Mavericks
The rubber thing on the bottom of my MacBook has stretched somehow (not sure how that happened) and now it is peeling off. My boyfriend suggested Rubber Cement to readhere it, but that did not work AT ALL. I even tried Super Glue, but even the Super Glue is not sticking and the rubbing thing keeps continuing to peel. The peel is spreading wider and wider each day.

Yes, I'm guilty of not having the Apple Care Protection Plan, and don't want to spend the ridiculous amount of money that I know I will be charged to have it repaired at an Apple store.

Are there any simple solutions that can readhere this rubber thing to the bottom before it completely comes off? Any ideas are welcomed. I am desperate at this point! :\

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
Well if you don't really care about having a rubber bottom then you can get a thin case for your MacBook to prevent it from ripping further. That's probably the cheapest solution. There are many cases that are two pieces so you can just use the bottom half of the case only if you want.

The other solution might be trying to see if you can buy the rubber bottom part and install a new one yourself so that you don't have to pay Apple to do it. Although if you have not gotten a quote from Apple then you don't know how much it is going to cost.

I'm sure it's a special adhesive that Apple uses to glue the rubber bottom to the MacBook but if Super Glue doesn't work then you might not have better luck with other retail glues. You could also try going to a hardware store to see what they recommend for rubber to plastic gluing but getting a case would be the easiest and cheapest solution.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro on OS X Mavericks
I never even thought about a case. Thanks for that suggestion.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
No problem. I'm glad I could help. :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Kane: How in the world did you ever remember that post? You have a great memory. I would hate to ever get on your bad side.... ;P

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Kane: How in the world did you ever remember that post? You have a great memory. I would hate to ever get on your bad side.... ;P

Don't worry Charlie, you could never get on my bad side, unless you woke me up from a deep sleep if it wasn't an emergency :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB Pro 2010 13 inch
even if you dot have the problem can you get the free bottom?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15

I remembered it from the story the Mac-Forums News Bot posted.

Way to go News Bot!:)

- Nick

Reaction score
I have this problem with my macbook as well. I am not sure how to go about getting a new one though. I wish they would do something like this for the macbooks cracking by the hinge...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Reaction score
I went ahead and ordered a new back. They actually overnighted the part to me! I am seeing some conflicting information though. I am not sure if you HAVE to ship back the old back or not. The directions on the inside say you need to. However, the directions on the back of the shipping label say you will be charged $0.00 if you do not ship the old part in. Here is a copy of both just so you can see for yourself.....I am not sure that I would order a new part if yours is not broken because I am not sure if you will be charged. BTW, the warranty on the new part is 90 days or until your warranty/apple care runs out, whichever is longer.

I don't think you will be charged by the looks of it, but I really don't know.....

IMG_0250.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
It's what we used to call a Z-part - a consumable part of sorts. If you return it, perhaps the engineers will look it over. If not, there doesn't appear to be any penalty.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.