• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

How bout those gas prices?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Late 2011 MBP,iPad '3' 32gb,iPhone4 32gb
At £1.35.7 per litre, this is good. The Texaco 200 metres up the road had unleaded at £1.41.9. When I got home my step dad said that the more fuel a vendor sells, the cheaper they can sell it because they get it at a reduced price. Obviously it won't go that low, but it does explain the differences in petrol prices 200m apart.

This is the most expensive fill up I've had, in my 12 years of driving. Something tells me it isn't going to get better. :(

6843836850_4df0e7a623.jpg

That's $8.13 per (US) gallon, in US money. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone 4S, MacPro 3.3 GHz 6 Core Intel Xeon /6GB RAM OSX 10.8.2, 27" display,i AirPort Extreme
The local gas stations all have sat dishes on the roofs. The corporate office sets the price and then you see the employees scramble to make the changes. This happens sometimes two or three times a day. Only the independent stations are slow changing prices. In general prices are pretty much the same at least within the same area. Most helpful are the iPhone app's that find the lowest area prices.

With all the provocation from Iran I sincerely doubt anything but rising prices for the next 4 months. Should Israel decide to act militarily (and their time is running out) I suspect the European and North American economies will take major hits.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G3 - You'll be missed.
Currently $3.99 here in Indianapolis. I did get lucky and nab some for $3.69 this evening. I was about empty in my little old cavalier. Cost me about 50 to fill the dang thing. I can't imagine what it's like for some of you international guys and gals. Those prices are nuts!

I'm working on getting a motorcycle up and running this spring / summer. I can't afford to keep filling up my car every week at these prices.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
I think Toyota has recovered nicely from those problems. I had a Corolla for 10 years or so, and now drive a 10 year old Prizm, essentially a Toyota. The Corolla was more reliable.

My point is that CR rates Subaru, Toyota, Mazda and Honda as the top four most reliable brands. (I might have them out of order, but all were graded within a point for the top four spots.) Toyota has been known for quality for decades, in spite of the recent hiccups. It's not like CR has touted the Yugo or something. Although I must say that one recent year they rated a Ford (Focus?) as the top choice for reasons I was unable to discern when I examined their test results compared to other comparable vehicles.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Did you buy it yet? I had a 2006 Mazda 6 and it was very trouble prone. Things started breaking from the first week I had it and never stopped until I traded it in 18 months later (and it depreciated by nearly 50% in that time period). Never again.

The Mazda3 is a good car, unlike the 6. My dad has a friend at work whose 6 is 4 years old, and already has spots of rust all over the lower part of almost all panels. Mazda doesn't consider rust to be rust until it has fully oxidized a whole through the sheet metal. They also have steering, oil, and gas tank issues. I believe he sold it and got a Maxima.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I think Toyota has recovered nicely from those problems. I had a Corolla for 10 years or so, and now drive a 10 year old Prizm, essentially a Toyota. The Corolla was more reliable.

My point is that CR rates Subaru, Toyota, Mazda and Honda as the top four most reliable brands. (I might have them out of order, but all were graded within a point for the top four spots.) Toyota has been known for quality for decades, in spite of the recent hiccups. It's not like CR has touted the Yugo or something. Although I must say that one recent year they rated a Ford (Focus?) as the top choice for reasons I was unable to discern when I examined their test results compared to other comparable vehicles.

Actually, you are right. The exact order of best reliability goes(from best to worst):
Scion, Lexus, Acura, Mazda, Honda, Toyota, Infiniti, Subaru, Nissan, Volvo, Hyundai, Kia, Jeep, Lincoln, Chrysler, VW, Chevy, Mercedes, BMW, Ford, Dodge, GMC, Mini, Buick, Cadillac, Audi, Porsche, Jaguar.

It's worth noting that some manufacturers with greatest deviation of reliability, can build crap as well as cars that are as reliable as the best reliable car can be. This list of greatest deviation includes(from highest deviation to lowest): Chevy, Nissan, VW, GMC/Audi/Ford, Lincoln, Dodge, Chrysler. This list basically means, while those manufactures are capable of building an impeccable car, your chance of getting a car that has problems, is significantly higher than average. It's worth noting that Jaguar doesn't have 1 car that is reliable. Their average for problems is 155% worse that the average industry average.

Statistically speaking, only 2 companies pass the threshold for passing a percentage above for being better than everyone else. Those two companies are Lexus and Honda...obviously in that order.

Based on statistic, you have a better chance of getting a Honda with less problems than a Toyota.

Ford is America's most reliable auto manufacturer, and ties Toyota in being able to build a reliable, trouble free car.

Only 4 makers build car(new cars) that are known to consistently be above average in reliability, dependability, and least problems per 100 cars. These manufacturers are: Scion, Lexus, Acura, and Mazda.

There are so many other statistics I show, but I have a feeling not many people actually care. You can find out where I got these statistics from by reading the current issue of CR.

Reaction score
I drive a 5.6 litre V8 Nissan Titan currently getting like 9 miles to a gallon so yep I gotta fill it up once a week pretty much takes like 26 gallons :( its my work truck so it sort of pays it self but OMG it hurts to pay soooo much for gas.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I drive a 5.6 litre V8 Nissan Titan currently getting like 9 miles to a gallon so yep I gotta fill it up once a week pretty much takes like 26 gallons :( its my work truck so it sort of pays it self but OMG it hurts to pay soooo much for gas.

9 miles to the gallon? Wow! Is that on E85, by chance?

Note to self: Skip the Nissan dealership next time around.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
For the few Canadian members here, the CBC has an interactive map of prices across the country here. It shouldn't surprise you that, for the most part, as you move east to west, prices drop. The most expensive place to buy gas is Newfoundland at $1.39/L and the cheapest is Alberta at $1.13 - $1.14/L (no one is surprised about that one though). The difference is 26 ¢/L which adds up.

Conversions for you non-Canadians:
Imperial Gallons: $4.28/gallon - $5.27/gallon.
In pounds: £0.72/L or £2.72/gallon to £0.88/L or £3.35/gallon.

Maybe we should stop exporting most of it...

Reaction score
9 miles to the gallon? Wow! Is that on E85, by chance?

Note to self: Skip the Nissan dealership next time around.

not even lol if I were to use E85 I would get 30% less mileage so I'm not even trying that :s if I drive long distances I can get like 14 miles on the highway, the stop and go driving is what kills the range.

Kax

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13" 2.4GHz Core i5 10.7.3 4GB DDR3 RAM 500GB HDD
Where I live is about .8083$ a liter and its considered expensive
it was around .161$ a liter :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Late 2011 MBP,iPad '3' 32gb,iPhone4 32gb

Yes, but you live in The Yemen..... ;)

What's it like there? Just out of interest. I'd love to visit, but obviously, it's not exactly the safest place.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 11,2 <--DAW!!!

2 years ago when I lived in Qatar, I was getting .20 cents for a liter of petrol. :eek: I miss those days since now paying $4.10 for diesel/gallon for my '11 BMW X5 in Las Vegas. But I can go about 420-450 miles on a tank. :)

I never made it to Aden's sea port, only been to Sana'a. Extremely friendly and proud people I met there.

Kax

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13" 2.4GHz Core i5 10.7.3 4GB DDR3 RAM 500GB HDD
Yes, but you live in The Yemen..... ;)

What's it like there? Just out of interest. I'd love to visit, but obviously, it's not exactly the safest place.

hhhhhh I live in Aden, and its safe, mostly :) but you never know when there will be gun shots, where I live I sleep daily after hearing guns ;)

But its still the best place on earth to me...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Anyhow, it's $3.44 a gallon here in Minneapolis for the crummy 87 octane ethanol blend...

Well, humming along right now exactly a month later, we are at $3.67 a gallon for the 87 octane swill. So, roughly a 7% change (23 cents) in a month. At this rate, unabated, I'm thinking $3.90 ~ $3.92 a gallon by 04/22/2012. In May I make the yearly pilgrimage back to visit family and expecting over $4 a gallon by then. Such is life.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Gas is at $4.03 here. Glad I can ride my bicycle to work to save gas. Unfortunately, my fiancée has to drive about an hour every day and doesn't get super awesome gas milage so she definitely feels it at the pump.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
I love the little digs at 87 octane (swill, crummy etc).

I think we need a "your car probably doesn't benefit from the 'premium' gas you insist on" thread, cue lots of garbage 'science' about 93 octane having more energy or power... etc. Can we, can we?

High Octane Myths – What Does That Number at the Pump Really Mean?

Use what you like, I really don't care. I'd guess your car runs just fine on 87. The engine de-tunes to accommodate the swill, running less efficiently and producing less power and worse gas mileage. It's a win-win choice for you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.