• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Things That Drive Us Mac Forumers Crazy!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 Pro - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - macOS Monterey
Broken links. Drives me nuts.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black 2.2 GHz C2D, 4GB RAM, 160GB HD, Super Drive
I wish I could take you seriously... but with less than 300 posts? Sorry... ;)

Seriously though - apart from the usual Moderator gripes (people intent on causing trouble, cross posting, spammers) I don't have too many pet peeves.

See what I mean!!! Ban this guy!! :D You and your 1023981029381 posts :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP, 2.0Ghz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HDD, 1991 Powerbook 100, Gen 2 Nano, Gen 1 Touch
The term "noob". Everyone has to start somewhere and generally you would join a forum such as this for assistance or information. To be mocked or burned for asking a question that some may find trivial doesn't help anyone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
The term "noob".
On a similar note, I detest the term "switcher".

Nobody should switch from one OS to the other. Learn both. Use both. Don't give up one for the other.
Augment your knowledge, but don't reduce your choices.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" 5k imac i7, 295x
people who dont bother to read an entire 2 page thread, then posting somehting already asked then answered. I understand if the thread is like 40 pages long, but if its only 2-3 pages, seriously.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
That "New Macbook Confirmed??" thread with 600+ replies. For whatever reason, I never bothered to read it with it first appeared. Then it got so many replies, that I refused to read it because it was so long. Now I wonder if there's anything interesting in there, but I don't wonder enough to weed through 600+ replies.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
5) People who are too insecure to leave their name with rep, good or bad. If you feel strongly enough to leave rep about it you should be willing to stand up for it.

I agree with that one. That said I have never left a negative rep, and (unless I forget) I leave my username as part of the comment

But a big gripe is people not looking for previous answers, its kind of understandable if you don't know much about forums, but not as bad as posting questions that are so obvious a simple Google search would have given the answer

But I guess that is what the forum is for, help and community for noobs and Mac fanboys (and girls) alike

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
Threads being relocated from "Anything Goes" to somewhere else because supposedly "not just anything goes in Anything Goes"... and then realising it wasn't MHC that moved it. :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
933 Mhz Powermac Quicksilver,1.5GB RAM, OSX 10.5, Tangerine 300MHz Clamshell, OS 9.2
1. People who don't say thank you after you've helped them.
2. (This is me) When I type a swear word without thinking and then realizing it....After you receive a warning.
3. People who don't post back letting us know if the solution worked. I've had so many questions and I've searched on the forum for answers and you never know if the solution worked.
Well.....I think that's it...It's pretty much why I'm on here so much...I love the people on this site and I love to help the people on it...Regardless if they say thank you or not.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I would prefer it if people didn't respond to threads that are blatant spam, but rather just report it instead.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Some very good points made in this thread. My Pet Peeves?
•People who don't post their Mac specs, or include them in a signature.
•People who don't - or won't - try to find out as much as they can before posting a question [although searching the forums isn't always a simple matter]
•People who knock or mock others' questions or answers [don't get much of that in this forum :)]
•Pedantry

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 1st Gen with upgraded Ram and Hard drive
My personal pet peeve is someone who took the time to register simply to ask when something is coming out or how much something will be or what the newest version of whatever will have specification wise.

That drives me up the wall!

Ie. "So when will the new iPhone be out?", "How fast will the new Macbook's render my final cut project?", "How much will the new iMac's cost?"

Around the time of the iPhone 3G this was rife, and the worst type of this kind of post is the demanding type...

"My mum and dad said they will get me a new iPhone, so when will it be out because I need to get one for my birthday"

I know these posts generally get ignored and I ignore them to, but it does make my skin crawl.

Mel

Ps, and the obvious, posting a question and getting 4 billion views but no reply. I know this happens in any forum, but it can be disheartening when your genuinely stuck with a problem and no other method of resolving it has helped.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
People whose posts start:

"In Windows I can do X and on the Mac I cannot"

And the only thig worse is when posting a problem, about anything; say for example "I tried to install Leopard update 10.5.4 and have an problem" you get someone say:

"Well I installed it on all 9,000 of my Macs and had no issue, plus I installed it on my entire school and city and I installed it for Steve Jobs too and even on my digital watch and it took 3 seconds and works great"

... shut up... :Evil:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
And the only thing worse is when posting a problem, about anything; say for example "I tried to install Leopard update 10.5.4 and have an problem" you get someone say:
"Well I installed it on all 9,000 of my Macs and had no issue....."

Oh yeeeesssssss Zoolook! That is singularly the most irritating response ever. Sure, those who say it mean well, but it is about as much use as gumboots on a duck! :Angry-Tongue:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
Some very good points made in this thread. My Pet Peeves?
•People who don't post their Mac specs, or include them in a signature.
People who don't - or won't - try to find out as much as they can before posting a question [although searching the forums isn't always a simple matter]
•People who knock or mock others' questions or answers [don't get much of that in this forum :)]
•Pedantry

This annoys me too. I know this is a forum, and people come here to ask questions and get help ..... but I almost feel like it makes people lazy and dependent. In the last 2 weeks I have answered at least 10-15 questions based on not my experience, but by typing the question into google and looking at MAYBE 2-5 pages.

Oh and xjaguar, I am with you bro, I just got warned as well. O:)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Oh yeeeesssssss Zoolook! That is singularly the most irritating response ever. Sure, those who say it mean well, but it is about as much use as gumboots on a duck! :Angry-Tongue:

Many people get fixated on the fact that they just did a system update. So, if the computer hiccups in anyway, it absolutely MUST be related to the update in some form.

It's the same thing whenever we roll out a new Microsoft patch at work to our Windows machines. Even if the patch doesn't actually deploy, but we've announced that we're rolling security patches, I still get the "my machine doesn't do <insert whatever> since the update". A week goes by, I deploy the update late, and no one says a word...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Another thing that bugs me, more as a Mac user than as a general forum thing:

Icons on the desktop.

C'mon guys. You have the dock for a reason. If you're really good, you've also got QuickSilver and Spotlight.

Almost as bad is docks with programs that are never used in it. I mean, how many times do you actually use iWeb?

Grrrrrr.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I would prefer it if people didn't respond to threads that are blatant spam, but rather just report it instead.

Amen! :D

And Derek, not even a Hard Drive icon on the desktop? :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Amen! :D

And Derek, not even a Hard Drive icon on the desktop? :D

Okay. Fine. I'll allow removable media too.

Hard drives and removable media are okay folks.

So shall it be written, so shall it be done.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.