Problems connecting Ibook G3 wireless to 801.11n/g

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ibook G3 500MHz 384Mb
I am running a gigabit network (DIR-655 router , DGS-2208 switch, DNS-323 NAS drive, all from Dlink) on a 14000/1000 DSL cable network, which also has a Wireless portion, that is running with PC's with Vista Home Prem., Windows 7, XP Pro SP3 machines, wired and wireless no problems.

However, I recently was given an Apple Ibook G3 500GHz OSX 10.4.11 with an airport card (825-5620 128bits 017591/B 3892D451 PC24-H, APN 630-2883/C).

I can connect to the network hard-wired with no problems, but cannot wirelessly connect to the network. It is setup mixed 801.11n/g WPA/WPA2, TKIP/AES, channel width 20/40MHz, channel 1, 11 character Preshared Key.

However, every time I put in the Preshared key, it tells me it is wrong, so what else can I do to make it work? I have rebooted the router, gotten rid of all the wireless profiles on the Ibook, but it still gives me the same problem every time.

Any ideas? The wireless network works ok with all other computers, so it must be something specific to the Ibook or airport card, which is running the latest software, but it only recognizes WPA not WPA2 on the router.

Help.......:\

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
The Airport card in your iBook G3 is a "b" network card...so if your network is g/n only...that may be why you're having trouble connecting.

Hope this helps,

- Nick

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ibook G3 500MHz 384Mb
Nick,

thanks for the info, but I changed the Router to b/g/n, and rebooted it, and still no luck.
It tells me; There was an error joining the Airport network "Ofice". And when I hit try again, it comes back the same way.
Wonder If I should invest in a wireless N USB network adapter, so it does allow for WPA2 personal, since the software here does not seem to see it.

Also, even with the security switched off, it does not work.

So there is another problem.
Back to the drawing board......:Grimmace:

The Airport card in your iBook G3 is a "b" network card...so if your network is g/n only...that may be why you're having trouble connecting.

Hope this helps,

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Nick,

thanks for the info, but I changed the Router to b/g/n, and rebooted it, and still no luck.
It tells me; There was an error joining the Airport network "Ofice". And when I hit try again, it comes back the same way.
Wonder If I should invest in a wireless N USB network adapter, so it does allow for WPA2 personal, since the software here does not seem to see it.

Also, even with the security switched off, it does not work.

So there is another problem.
Back to the drawing board......:Grimmace:

When you try to connect from the G3 iBooks Airport...are you getting any "bars" in the Airport signal strength indicator in the menu bar?

If not...it is definitely possible that the Airport card is dead...it does happen from time to time.

Since the iBook networking does work via ethernet...at least you know that the iBook is fully functional in that respect.

Hope this helps,

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.