Dropped it like a brick, now it works like a brick

Reaction score
Hey guys, first time poster. Long time plagued with problems.

So here's my dilemma. I was getting up, and out of my pocket comes sliding my iPhone 3gs, crashing straight into a head on collision with the concrete. I had been dropped a couple of times before, but this time it had finally decided to do some damage. I, being so terrified by the consequences, decided to leave it alone for a day or so and find out what damage had come to it later. I discover it in bricked mode. An endless loop of recovery; and so far no fix found.

My question is whether you guys have any experience with this kind of specific problem and have a cure to my iPhone's sickness. It also doesn't want to enter dfu mode with most of the methods I've tried. (It entered dfu mode once, but I don't remember how I did it, and then I got out of it).

If you guys are capable of providing any help, I would really appreciate it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
Hello there and welcome.

I'm not sure DFU mode is going to solve your problem because, given your description of the events leading up to the problem, it's quite possible that your iPhone is mechanically and thus electronically damaged and needs repairing or replacing.

Just to cheer you up here is an old joke for you which may have some relevance:

Man: "Doctor...I've broken my arm in several places!"

Doctor " Well don't go to those places!"

OP
T
Reaction score
Thank you guys for the many responses *cough*

But honestly now. After looking at how many views this post got with no response I had only to assume that no one new what to do about what I had done. So after trying recboot, greenpoisen, other things of this nature, countless how to videos, reading many forums, etc. I decided to do what I had been stupidly avoiding the whole time. I called Apple.

The most wonderfully charming twenty-year old guy picked up the my call. If I recall correctly, his name is George, or something close to that (I think). I had begun to describe to him my problem; how I had dropped it, it's current brick state, the lack of cosmetic damage and such.

He had relayed to me a quick story of his own personal iphone's demise. How it had slipped out of his hand and crashed against the ground to result in such an unsalvageable piece of crap. How after seeing it morph from one state to another he decided to contiue the metamorphisis by turning it into a softball. A key piece of equipment into his and his buddies new found game. They took that iphone and demolished it into pieces. They then destoryed those pieces to the bitter end. And that all though the iphone got wrecked, it made for a good time. I chuckled.

I told him that now I was using a razr phone in place of my bricked iphone; and was commenting on the durabilty of razr; how many falls I had taken on my skateboard and snowboard and leaving this phone unscathed. He agreed it was rather unbreakable. He asked me if I remembered the days back when they had the more brick looking nokia phones, and I muffled out a yes; to which he then reminisced to me (once more, rather quickly), about a time in the 8th grade when his parents had given him one such phone and he had gone to the football field and he had take his phone and chucked it from somewhere at the half way point of the field, having it crash against the score board; then picking it up and finding it in still working condition. I was a little amazed.

We finally got back to the original topic and George (I think) had started explainging to me the difference between dfu mode and recovery mode. I told him I understood the difference and that I was certain it was in recovery mode. And that I kept getting the 1604 error code every time I tried to restore, despite what computer I was trying it on, what usb port i was in, or what usb cable I was using. I was beginning to think it was a hardware problem and that I completely messed up my iphone. He, thankfully, came up with the most useful theroey. The dock connector (on the inside obviously) was busted. I can't believe I had not thought of this before. He suggested I replace it.

I will be taking him up on that suggestion and hopefully it will all work out. I will post an update on whether or now this solved my problem. And leave this here for future distraught iphone users.

To end this story, I told him that he was very helpful and that I was sorry that he worked in customer service and knew how much it sucked. He basically said it was all good, and asked for my name to put in the computer server thingy-ma-jig. I asked him if he needed a real one or if he it was okay if I gave him a fake one to which he replied that it didn't matter. I said Mary Magdalene. And this time he chuckled. I told him to have a good day. I think he wished me the same. And then click.

George (i think), if you happen to be reading this. Thanks. You've saved me lots of future frustration. Good luck with the whole getting yelled at by angry apple users.

OP
T
Reaction score
Hello there and welcome.

I'm not sure DFU mode is going to solve your problem because, given your description of the events leading up to the problem, it's quite possible that your iPhone is mechanically and thus electronically damaged and needs repairing or replacing.

Just to cheer you up here is an old joke for you which may have some relevance:

Man: "Doctor...I've broken my arm in several places!"

Doctor " Well don't go to those places!"

Lol. Yeah thanks man.:Smirk:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Main-11" Air, iPhone 6+, iPad Mini 3, Hi-Fi Extras- Too many to count
So is the phone working now?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am still waiting for the parts to be shipped to me.

When you open the package do so over a flat surface whilst sat down :D
Sorry Twit..couldn't resist..hope you get sorted:)

OP
T
Reaction score
Finally! For the long awaited update.

I replaced the dock port cable. And I fixed it completely. after I put it back together and plugged it into the computer, it turned on just like old times.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Finally! For the long awaited update.

I replaced the dock port cable. And I fixed it completely. after I put it back together and plugged it into the computer, it turned on just like old times.

Great stuff Twit:)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.