Headphone recommendations

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
see sig...
Not for me though, I'm in love with my Radius Atomic Bass earbuds.

Actually I need recommendations for my 5 year. He is hard of hearing like I've been since childhood, and when he listens to music in the car, he has to keep adjusting his hearing aids, which bugs the crap out of him. So my exwife suggested we find him an MP3 player for his own music. I happen to have an extra iPod sitting here that I don't really use, a 1gb 2nd gen Shuffle (I've got a 20gb 3rd gen iPod...the shuffle is only good for shop use for me lol) that I figured I would load up and give him.

I just don't know what headphones would be good for him. No earbuds, I know that much. And I'd rather avoid cheapo dollar store products...and WalMarx...er...Wal-Mart...if possible. Any recommendations that are decent for a kid?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
I have some Koss noise cancelling headphones, I think they were around the $20. I've seen some low cost Sony (over-ear) headphones at Best Buy as well. The Koss phones work well for me, they produce a decent amount of bass, sound quality is very good. I would recommend them, but if you can pick up some Sony headphones those would be better. Hopefully you can find some that aren't too costly.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I would not recommend noise cancelling/blocking earphones for a 5 yr old unless you're prepared to treat him/her as deaf when wearing them. You just never know when an emergency will arise that you need the child to hear you immediately without being in range of touch or you're not within their range of vision.

If you don't want earbuds, I'd suggest over the ear headphones. It could be very tough finding a pair of these that will fit on a 5 yr old's head.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
I would not recommend noise cancelling/blocking earphones for a 5 yr old unless you're prepared to treat him/her as deaf when wearing them.

thanks bobtomay, I forgot all about over-ear phones, as well as why it wouldn't be the best idea for noise cancelling phones for a five year old.

Sorry!

OP
O
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
see sig...
Thanks for the recommendations.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.